Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Freelancing in japan with a dependant visa 2020/4/15 12:25
Hi,

I live in Japan from June, 2019 with a dependant visa and will be here atleast for two years more. I have the work permit for "28hours in a week" but didn't work yet.

I was a UX engineer back there in my country and now willing to start working as an independent freelancer via internet (not with a specific company).
As my Husband is a PhD student here he does not need to pay any taxes.

1. Do I need to have further permits or submit any kind of form in the immigration office?

2. When the taxes will be counted for this type of freelancing?

3. Do I need to talk with any lawyer for the taxes policy?!

4. Is there anything else that I need to be concerned about before starting freelancing?

Thank you.
by Sayma  

Re: Freelancing in japan with a dependant visa 2020/4/15 14:03
1. Do I need to have further permits or submit any kind of form in the immigration office?

No, as long as you work under 28 hours per week, you are covered.

2. When the taxes will be counted for this type of freelancing?

You have to file taxes next spring. It is explained here:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2206.html

3. Do I need to talk with any lawyer for the taxes policy?!

No, you don't need to. But if you are not familiar with accounting and taxes, then it may be a good idea to get some consultation somewhere so you do them properly.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Freelancing in japan with a dependant visa 2020/4/16 08:00
Talk to an accountant about taxes, not a lawyer.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Freelancing in japan with a dependant visa 2020/4/16 11:51
Most difficult part if you work as freelancer is that you need to be able to prove that you are working within the guidelines if the Immigration Bureau asks. So this one you better check how to do because just a working sheet would maybe not sufficient.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread