Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Piercings in japanese school? 2020/4/23 19:20
Hello,
I'm planning to go to a japanese school for an exchange semester. I'm just worrying about my piercings. Would I have to take them out or could I also just hide them with a retainer. I have a Nostril and a septum, and multiple ear piercings.
by Kate Reger (guest)  

Re: Piercings in japanese school? 2020/4/24 09:21
Colleges don't care about your appearance. Senior high would.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Piercings in japanese school? 2020/4/24 09:57
in high school, probably it will be serious problem for teachers. you will be not welcomed.
in university, you will be treated as an adult. your decision will be respected.

but, generally speaking, people (students) select their friends, especially about real friends.
also, students' parents select their children's friends, as same as in all over the world.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Piercings in japanese school? 2020/4/24 13:34
It depends on each school (including some colleges), so you will have to discuss that with your teacher(s). Perhaps your exchange program agent can assist you as well.

In cases that I've personally witnessed, students who come from different cultures (including those born in Japan to foreign families) are tolerated. What I mean is that they often let you be as you are. But depending on the school policy, you may be asked to take them off while at school.

Just to let you know, transparent plastic tools are available to keep your pierce holes open without having to wear any obvious accessories. People often wear them when they're doing a part-time job that do not permit wild accessories.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Piercings in japanese school? 2020/4/24 13:37
Right. I was talking about retainers when I mentioned the plastic tools.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Piercings in japanese school? 2020/4/24 21:58
Just to add an anecdote, when I was a JHS teacher quite a few years ago, we had a (Japanese) student who would attend the school around one month a year. They were part of a traveling entertainment group who would be booked at a local onsen for a month, before moving on. She had ear piercings, and the teachers required her to put tape over them.

I never really understood the point; she wore large diamond-looking studs, not anything small that could go unnoticed, and the tape served to draw attention to them rather then cover them up, especially since her hair was short. It was a bit bizarre.

At another JHS I taught at, a student had multiple facial piercings. He usually just wore a mask every day to cover them rather than take them out. The teachers seemed to tolerate that despite the rules being very strict!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread