Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i naturalize with Specialized worker 1 2020/4/30 14:40
I want to move to japan next year and become a permanant Japanese citizen. I was wondering if the specialized service worker visa tier 1 would get me there? I Can renew it up to a Maximum of 5 years, Does that mean I Would lose my visa after five years and be sent back home? Or does that mean I Have to Apply for Citizenship or get Booted to america?

Mid typing this out i realized its probably the second one but its always good to get help when you arent 100% on something.
by NotTayyy  

Re: Can i naturalize with Specialized worker 1 2020/4/30 15:02
I was wondering if the specialized service worker visa tier 1 would get me there?

No, it doesn't. Specified skilled worker I have to leave after a maximum of five years.

Would lose my visa after five years and be sent back home?

Yes, unless if you change your status to a different one, such as Specified skilled worker II, a work visa or spouse visa.

Or does that mean I Have to Apply for Citizenship

You cannot get citizenship after 5 years as Specified skilled worker I.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Can i naturalize with Specialized worker 1 2020/4/30 16:01
Hmm, So If i come as A Specialized worker, Then i would have to find a Job in japan and Switch visas then start the 5 Years Again? or if i was a special Worker for 1 - 2 Years Then switched to Worker for 3-4 Years could i apply for citizenship then?
by NotTayyy rate this post as useful

Re: Can i naturalize with Specialized worker 1 2020/4/30 16:27
I am pretty sure that time spent as specialized worker will not be counted towards the time needed for citizenship.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Can i naturalize with Specialized worker 1 2020/5/1 09:02
My understanding of the new specialized visa categories are that they are designed to operate as a way of attracting a disposable workforce - do your five years and go home. You would need to check even if you can swap to another visa/status of residence category (like Skills 2) as the references I checked were a little old and the route between the two hadn't been determined at that stage.
The "Skills 1 " visa is not a route to citizenship and my recollection of the rules around it, it explicitly excludes time in Japan from counting toward it.
Better would be to seek a higher level residence status - Spec Skill 2 or one of the other work categories.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread