Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 21 too old to start studying in Japan? 2020/5/8 14:29
Am I too old for work in Japan?I'm 21 now.
I need to complete 2 years of language school, 4 years for bachelor degree.
I will be searching for job in my 27,isn't it too late? I don't want to regret it.

I found out that in Japan there is a thing called ''age discrimination''.
Most of Japanese people start job hunting in their 22 with bachelor degree or in their 24-25 with their masters degree.I'm definitely going to stand out and have some problems with interviews,am i?
by nonemu (guest)  

Re: Is 21 too old to start studying in Japan? 2020/5/8 22:46
Discrimination of all kinds exist everywhere in this world, but technically speaking, the Japanese law does not allow employers to discriminate job hunters for their age. Besides, there are tons of Japanese people who had never really worked until they became 30 or 40 or even 50, and their are public organizations that help these people find jobs.

So the short answer is that you are never too old to work in Japan, as long as you have the right visa and you are willing to try hard.

But I'm assuming from your calculation that you've already enrolled in a language school, and I'm quite sure you're not attending it yet because of the Covid-19 crisis. That already means that things may not go as planned. And even if it does, there is no telling you will finish language school and then obtain a 4-year degree without being stuck in the middle in one way or another.

The point is that you need to do your math correctly, and know what you're facing. You don't want to find yourself saying, "It wasn't supposed to be like this," because nothing is supposed to be like anything. Life is full of unexpected things, both good and bad, and you won't discover any of that unless you take some kind of action.

I don't want to regret it.

What are your alternatives?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Is 21 too old to start studying in Japan? 2020/5/8 23:12
Before I make a suggestion (if I have the knowledge) - how strong is your Japanese?

The reason I ask is that I don't think that 2 years at a language school will not give you the academic language needed to be successful at a Japanese university.

To give you a background - I am a teacher at an international school and it takes 2 years for my best students to be reasonably successful in English when they have little knowledge of the language - and that's at middle school. Do not underestimate the Japanese alphabets and the amount of time needed to learn academic language (which normally takes around 5 years)
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is 21 too old to start studying in Japan? 2020/5/9 01:37
What do you want to work as??
If you want to be a Regular gsalary-manh in a Japanese corporation, or similar, Then you are disadvantaged. But if you want to be a professional with a special skill, then your age matters less.
by Kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is 21 too old to start studying in Japan? 2020/5/9 06:39
I found out that in Japan there is a thing called ''age discrimination''.
The bigger issue is that you are not Japanese. Even among Japanese people there is discrimination depending on how "Japanese" someone is. If you are prepared to put up with always being the foreigner and being asked when you're going home all the time, then you can give it a shot.
More important, why do you want to live/work in Japan - it should be more than you just think it's a good idea. It's not easy.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread