Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to live in Japan? 2020/5/9 09:06
Hello, this is going to be a little long, so thank you for taking your time to view this post.
I just finished my bachelor degree in High School here in Spain.
I started learning Japanese a month ago and currently I'm able to read full hiragana, katana, and around 25% of common use Kanji, if not 35%. Apart from that, I'm also able to read kids books, watch the news, listen to music and other kind of content like YouTube Videos and understand around 50%.
As I've dedicated a lot of time this month to the study of the language, I think I've reach a point in which learning Kanji has become relatively easy and kind of a "mundane" thing, and I got so used to the language than sometimes I forget that I'm listening or even reading in Japanese.
I wanted to continue my studies not at the university but at a High Education Program to become a skilled field technician in forestry and nature's management.
The idea of living in Japan has been bugging me for a while now, I feel somehow connected to the country's love for nature and culture, and I started studying everything about Japan, from History to cultural points.
It really puts one into the wall of demotivation when you read just how difficult is to live there regulation-speaking, not to mention how it really seems impossible to one to get the residency (Or permanent visa).
Speaking about me, If I get the opportunity, I wouldn't leave Japan, I would stay there as my new country; I would adapt to the language, to the culture, to the mindset... and I would start my household there without thinking about coming back. But this regulations seems to have been made with the mindset that every foreigner will not 'behave', and like if we were burden, however, sadly I know that's the case for a lot of people.
Speaking about my skills, I got a B2 English Level-Degree certificate, however, I would say my level is now around Native C1. I also have a good hand managing trees, bonsais and gardens.
My next objective is to reach at least JLPT n3 if not n2 level before 2021 (I must say, I'm a person who has a lot of time and I invest it learning and improving myself, I'm not just doing nothing, so I think It is a pretty realistic goal).
That, added to the forestry field technician degree (Which is not an University Career, though, I can directly access University to study it's equivalent career, however that's +4 years and I'm not willing to spend much time here in my Country).
Would it all be enough to get hired by a Japanese enterprise/business?
My current plan is, after finishing all the stated, stay on the country on a holiday visa for one year, and be on the look out for job opportunities so after my visa status is finished, return to the country this time with a proper visa, work, and then apply for the permanent residency.
Is there a more proper/easier way? It is even realistic my ambition?
Thank you again for taking your time to read all this burden of a post. Have a nice day!
by Douglas Fir  

Re: How to live in Japan? 2020/5/9 10:35
Hi! Just a little disclaimer: I did ask a question in the same line months ago, however, I think this is more of a realistic-serious one. Thank you!
by Douglas Fir Tree rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan? 2020/5/9 10:39
your first step (probably easier for you) is "graduating 4-year university and get a degree" in your country.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan? 2020/5/11 11:01
Agree with Ken. Get a 4 year college degree first. I would advise you to research more about the type of visas available to understand why this is important. Also, it wouldn't hurt to know what type of jobs and skills are in high demand in Japan. Maybe studying one of those would give you an edge to find employment here?
by pepe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan? 2020/5/11 12:47
Best is to have a degree and focus on something which is useful in Japan.
After your degree do a language school to find out Japan is really the country you want to be. Because it may be different from what you like or want.

Also note that you need to secure a good job position because periods like economic crisis (corona) foreigners will often lose job first.

But everything is possible.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan? 2020/5/11 14:52
if you can still chose the university even go for it-branch (softwaredevelopment) instead of forestry, cause there it is most easy to get a job. if you can master japanese that fast you can also learn softwarelanguages quite quickly i guess
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan? 2020/5/11 18:27
Hello dude. ILm also from Spain, and ILm following the same path as you, but I think ILm younger xD. For people in our situation there are 2 options (obviously more than 2 if you get married, or if a japanese company hires you, which is difficult). The first one is, like they said, getting a university degree, which puts you in a very good position when finding a job for the working visa. Then you would go to Japan and stay around 1 or 2 years to at least get a N2 or even N1 (you seem to learn fast like me, just calculate the time it will take to pulish the language). Meanwhile you should find a company who is interested in hiring you. The second one is the expensive one, and itLs going to a japanese school for 1 or 2 years and then joining a Senmon Gakko (a vocational school). SG are a good option (but expensive, from 800,000 yen to 1,200,000 yen PER YEAR + 200,000 of the test for joining it) because you can specialize in something you like (just like FP), and after 2 years the school will help you when finding a job. Students who worked in a Senmon Gakko usually have a 80-85% of possibilities of getting hired, which is impressive.
by choco982 rate this post as useful

Re: How to live in Japan? 2020/5/12 16:28
If you are a student, it is best to enroll in a language exchange program. Or you might even opt to choose any program that will help you to easily adjust to Japanfs culture. It is also important to learn Japanese because English is not really a common language in Japan. You do not have to worry about your safety because you can ask anyone for help! :D
by Utagawa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread