Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

health insurance and pension 2020/6/4 13:04
I am a foreign resident in Japan with a five year visa.

Due to the corona virus situation I had to leave Japan urgently, and cannot return for quite a few months.

When I was departing I was not aware that I wouldn't be able to return for some time, so I did not notify my city office and cancel my National Health Insurance and Pension before doing this.

My questions are these:
1. Is it possible to cancel these by post or over the phone?
2. When I return to Japan in the future, would I be able to show the City Office that I've been out of the country for a number of months - and would they erase my NHI and pension bills for these months? Or would I still have to pay all of those missed?
by Jezza (guest)  

Re: health insurance and pension 2020/6/4 16:32
It is very unfortunate that you cannot return; I assume your employment contract is still in effect? If you are still on their payroll of an employer in Japan, meaning you are still registered as a resident in Japan, I donft think you can cancel out of social security schemes. There should be a way to have the payment obligation reduced/waived due to lower income, though.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: health insurance and pension 2020/6/4 21:41
Thanks for your answer. No, my employment contract is not still in effect.
by Jezza (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread