Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working visa to spouse visa after being fired 2020/6/15 10:12
Hi everyone, hope you are doing well.

Here's my situation :

I have a working visa and work in a Japanese company. I'm currently doing papers to get married with my japanese girlfriend and I want to change my working visa to a spouse visa. Until there no trouble, but the problem is : I'm not doing well at my job for some reasons and I think there is a risk to be fired soon.

My question is : Can I apply for a spouse visa if I have a working visa BUT I'm currently unemployed when I apply?

Thanks and sorry if I made some english mistakes.
by JamesNihon1  

Re: Working visa to spouse visa after being fired 2020/6/15 12:40
What you want is apply for Change of Status ݗiύX\ (work to spouse).
English : http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02.html
Japanese: http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/16-2-1.html

Can I apply for a spouse visa if I have a working visa BUT I'm currently unemployed when I apply?
Yes. As for being unemployed when applying for change of status, it most probably won't matter since your wife or (in-laws) will be your spouse status sponsor/guarantor. BUT it may seem to immigration that you change status straight immediately after being unemployed, marriage of convenience. Just something to ponder.

If you are fired/quit from your job, you/company will need to inform immigration with regards to your employment to update your work status.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa to spouse visa after being fired 2020/6/15 12:52
Thanks for your answer. I've been with my girlfriend for 4 years and we engaged 2 years ago. I wonder if it will make things easier...
by JamesNihon1 rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa to spouse visa after being fired 2020/6/15 13:28
Yes, as the above poster mentioned, you will be applying for a change of status of residence from employer-sponsored work status to gspouse of Japanese national.h (Once you are in Japan, you have a gstatus of residenceh; gvisah is something you use to enter Japan.)

Can I apply for a spouse visa if I have a working visa BUT I'm currently unemployed when I apply?

Yes, you can apply for that. Just be sure to apply for the change while your work status of residence is still valid.

We did that (me Japanese, my husband non-Japanese) when my husband used to work for a Japanese company on a work status, then one year his contract didnft get renewed, so we changed to gspouseh status. I as the guarantor only had a temp staff work (not full time), but we added a letter saying that my husband has such and such experience and will look for a new job, that went ok.

The only difference is that we were already married for some years before we made the application for the change. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Working visa to spouse visa after being fired 2020/6/15 17:18
Thanks for your answer AK. I will inform you when I will apply for the spouse visa !
by JamesNihon1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread