Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese passport 2020/6/25 20:15
Hello every one i need some information how can I get japanese passport I am on spouse visa I have 3 years visa now but seperated from my wife she will not give me koseki tohon..can I apply japanese passport by my own what are the requirements and how about japanese language ? I mean written kanji hiragana katakana? Etc please some one guide me thanks
by Thomas (guest)  

Re: Japanese passport 2020/6/25 21:46
I don't think you can get a Japanese passport without being a Japanese citizen.
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese passport 2020/6/25 21:47
Hi

I don't think you can just get a Japanese passport, you are not Japanese I take it so not entitled to one.

You would have to apply for naturalisation to gain citizenship and become a Japanese national.

This would mean revoking your current nationality completely so it should be weighed out very carefully. Are you really prepared to erase your link to your old country?

When you say separated, have you broken up? Plan to get a divorce? Etc

How long have you lived in Japan? This will effect if you can apply for citizenship. You will need a lot of documents for this and it's a drawn out process sometimes depending on ones circumstances
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese passport 2020/6/26 06:01
I am here in Japan from last 5 years well don't know about divorce but my wife and her relative want that I sign the papers of divorce which I don't like---the only way that I can stand in my foot is to get Japanese passport for that I need some one help who can guide me----
by Thomas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese passport 2020/6/26 07:04
how can I get japanese passport
Become a citizen.

If you are separated, you are not meeting the requirements of your current "spouse visa" (i.e. living together as a married couple) so it will not be renewed - when it expires, go home or change to a valid category. Otherwise you have no right to live in Japan.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese passport 2020/6/26 07:43
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Society/Duped-into-divorce-Foreign-n...
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170428/p2a/00m/0na/011000c
https://soranews24.com/2017/05/02/awareness-campaign-warns-foreigners-in-japan-of-divorce-without-consent/

Beware of unauthorize divorce, you being divorced without knowing it yourself.
Get yourself covered, visit your city hall and file a Petition for Non-Acceptance of Notification of Divorce (rikon fujuri moshidesho)

As other have said, you can't just apply for Japanese passport. You MUST apply for citizenship/naturalisation which can take up to 1 year to process. Best is try to change your spouse status to work sponsor status, or just try apply for Permanent Resident .
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread