Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I transfer to a Japanese University? 2020/7/2 21:53
Hi!

I've been studying in the Philippines ever since and I'm about to graduate senior high school. I want to attend a university in Japan. I have dual citizenship, Japanese and Filipino. I researched a little and came across international undergraduate student transfers but it's applicable only to non-Japanese nationalities. If I wish to apply to their program, I'll have to renounce my Japanese citizenship and apply only with my Filipino citizenship. But I can't renounce my Japanese citizenship since my family, especially my mom, is against it. I prefer to maintain my Japanese citizenship as well. Is there any way I can transfer to Japan for university without renouncing my Japanese citizenship?

Thank you!
by Ami Ono (guest)  

Re: How do I transfer to a Japanese University? 2020/7/3 11:17
you will have 2 options

1. take the national center test.
2. negotiate with the target university

there are many universities that accept japanese nationals who are raised abroad. For example, kyoto university
by testing (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I transfer to a Japanese University? 2020/7/4 00:30
just make sure the word definitions.
transfer means school to school transfer. you need to enter university first in your country and transfer to Japanese university.
probably, you want to enter university in Japan, after you graduate your senior high school in your country. it does not mean "transfer".

when you enter university in Japan as a Japanese,
you can't use benefit as a foreigner. for example, you can't get MEXT scholarship for foreigners.
I don't know Kyoto university has such program, but, you should be noted that you are a Japanese, although you do know nothing about Japan and the language. many foreigners who have troublesome to have visas (resident status) . but you have no such troubles. apparently, it seems to be great benefit. but, I don't know it is true or not.

generally speaking, Japanese are very conservative and they implicitly request that the nationality should match to appearance, language, and culture. many say it as "identity". that is, if you don't have an identity as Japanese, you may not be treated as a Japanese by other Japanese in everyday's living.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread