Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

USA gaimen kirike documents all correct? 2020/7/6 11:28
Hey everyone,

So I'm finally planning on getting my Japanese drivers licence. I already have a valid NYC licence which I'm had since 2017. I've checked all the official sites and have already received my translation of my US/NYC licence from the JAF last week. My wife called the local driving centers in Tokyo and both on the phone insisted she come with me because "no one speaks english". They repeated this even after my wife pointed out I can speak conversational Japanese (N3). I'm now reading horror stories of people coming to the driving centers and being turned away because they didn't have the right documents and the staff thought their Japanese wasn't "good enough". My question is this:

Are these documents enough to get me to the written test and pass the screening?

1. Passport (current and old)
2. NYC licence (current and old)
3. Zairyu card
4. Jumihyo

This is all the offical sources say I need, but are there any other documents I should/need to bring. I really don't want to waste a day only to have them tell me Im missing something and then blame it on my "poor japanese".

Thanks in advance.

by Rogue-one (guest)  

Re: USA gaimen kirike documents all correct? 2020/7/6 12:36
Can you proof that you reside/stay for 3 months after you first got your licence in NYC.
They are very PITA about the 3 months rule.
Having old passsport and licence is good, make sure you can explain,trace back the history.
But then again, it is all depend on the center/officer acceptance. So having someone fluent in Japanese@your wife would greatly help.
Good luck.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USA gaimen kirike documents all correct? 2020/7/8 12:16
Thank you!

What is the best way to prove I was in the US 3 months after I got my licence?

I don't have any bills or anything like that since I was mostly paperless because its the 21st century and all that. My old expired licence proves I've been driving since 2010 . I read some people bring their drivers record. is that good enough? I'm going to buy it online today and print it out from the DMV in NYC.

I know its different for everyone just looking for some input so I can have all my bases covered. I'm planning on going tomorrow or Friday without my wife if i can (really don't want her to use a vacation day if
I can do it myself).

Thanks again.
by rouge-one (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USA gaimen kirike documents all correct? 2020/7/8 14:41
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: USA gaimen kirike documents all correct? 2020/7/13 09:34
Do you have to pay with cash or those japanese payment stamps (ishi I think they are called)?
by Maxx (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread