Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/15 21:46
Hello, hello--

I am looking for anyone who has permanent residency and was able to re-enter Japan since the recent immigration restrictions.

I've had permanent residency in Japan for over 10 years, but I flew to Bangkok in late February. I have been stuck here. I want to go back home to Tokyo, but there appear to be restrictions. I do not have family in Japan, and I don't need medical treatment there. I know that those are examples of PR-holders who are allowed back into Japan, but that doesn't apply to me. Does anyone know if I can get back in?

If it matters, I am a U.S. passport holder. I have been in Thailand since late February. I haven't been to the U.S. in over a year.

Does anyone know of any PR-holders who were able to re-enter Japan?

Many thanks--
by timp  

Re: Can perm. residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/16 10:50
Japans english immigration website says no
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can perm. residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/16 11:06
I understand that permanent residents who have left Japan before the closing of the borders can now reenter Japan. I recommend to consult with the local Japanese consulate or embassy. Those who left Japan after the closing of the borders; however, won't be able to reenter yet except if they left for some highly urgent matters. I understand that preparations are made to let in all permanent residents again in the near future. I believe it is related to the number of tests that Japan's airports are able to handle.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/16 19:48
I think you should contact Japanese immigration directly. It is my understanding that foreign residents with valid resident statuses and reentry permits who left BEFORE April 3rd, when the travel restrictions and entry bans were enacted, are considered exempt and therefore can return at any time. The MOJ website says this of cases such as yours:

In cases where a foreign national with the status of residence of gPermanent Residenth, gSpouse or Child of Japanese Nationalh, gSpouse or Child of Permanent Residenth or gLong-Term Residenth re-enters Japan, a decision will be made on whether or not gspecial exceptional circumstancesh exist as given below based on the date of departure from Japan with re-entry permission and records of the areas where the foreign national was staying.
(i) Cases of departure through re-entry permission up until April 2.
- In principle, special exceptional circumstances are regarded to exist.

Since you left in February (again this is just my understanding from following the news throughout this entire time regarding the travel bans), you should be considered "exceptional circumstances" and wont even have to prove the circumstances of why you left, like those do who left after April 3rd or leave now.

That said, I have no personal experience. But if you head over to /r/japanlife on reddit, you can browse posts from several people who have successfully entered Japan since the bans went in place.

Good luck!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/17 06:52
You could call and ask - might be faster talking to the people that know: The old (one month ago - 12 June) reference is http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001321982.pdf
Includes a contact phone number.

I have found an updated notice (1 July) http://www.moj.go.jp/content/001316999.pdf
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/18 07:42
Just an update from this morning's papers/news - business are getting frustrated that Japan is still denying their legal resident workers from returning to Japan. While there is not "right" to return/enter Japan as a non-citizen, it is damaging the reputation and the poorly implemented campaign to encourage people to invest in the country.
The other point from the articles I saw was that the borders are still closed to non-Japanese residents.

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/24 08:10
This article confirms that my earlier statements are correct:
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13571689

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/24 12:28
@Uji - don't jump to conclusions too quickly. The reports I have seen are that legal residents will be allowed back "gradually". A newspaper report and words from Abe don't automatically translate into being allowed back now.
The words I saw used were "partially roll back entry restrictions" with around half of the 200,000 residents eligible for re-entry- that still leaves 100,000 residents blocked from returning.
Also, "those who left Japan after the ban are not covered by the updated regulation."

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/25 19:35
Well it certainly would suck if residents can not return and live their lives. In general, What about the people stuck in a foreign country and unable to work there or afford a hotel for months on end... Are local governments supports tourists who are trapped?

How about any that got stuck in japan or they were allowed home? 🤔
by Reina Jess rate this post as useful

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/26 03:54
This thread is about permanent residents, not foreign residents in general.

Re: Can permanent residents enter Japan now? 2020/7/26 06:54
Even for residents with PR the path back to Japan isn't completely cleared. It's getting easier, but they're not all allowed back today.

reply to this thread