Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse visa without Japanese health insurance 2020/7/18 16:02
My wife is a Japanese citizen with US green card and I am US citizen with Japanese spouse visa. We are both retired with US social security, US Medicare and large savings. I got spouse visa so I could visit children (Japanese citizens), buy condo and open bank account. However, only plan to be in Japan for less than 3 months during each trip. I do not want to buy Japanese Health Insurance as I will never use it. Does anyone know how to avoid buying the hearth insurance if you have US Medicare?
by Bob (guest)  

Re: Spouse visa without Japanese health insurance 2020/7/20 08:11
less than 3 months during each trip
Then come as a tourist - up to 90 days each trip.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa without Japanese health insurance 2020/7/20 15:36
A tourist visa will not work. I cannot buy condo, open bank account or work while I am in Japan. I have been visiting Japan for over 20 years. I need the spouse visa.
by Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa without Japanese health insurance 2020/7/20 16:04
Buying property is easy, you do not need to be a citizen of Japan.
Opening a bank is more difficult since you need to proof you live in Japan. (new regulation is enforced to prevent money laundry)

When you live in Japan you are mandatory to have a health insurance.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa without Japanese health insurance 2020/7/20 16:30
Are you living in the US or in Japan?

If you are living in the US with your wife, and just visiting your children in Japan for less than 3 months a year, then you should be visiting on Temporary Visitor.
If you are gSpouse of Japanese nationalh status holder, you must have had to provide documents that state that you are/intend to be living in Japan with your Japanese spouse, which means you must be on the resident register (gjuminhyoh), and if you are, you are obligated to pay residentfs taxes, real estate taxes, health insurance, pension contribution, etc., the whole set, as a gresident.h (I admit those payment obligations are based on your income from the previous year, so you might not have that much that you have to pay, though.)

However, even if you stayed in Japan for 3 months or longer, they say if you are able to get this sort of certificate to say that you are registered with an American system, you donft have to sign up with the National Health Insurance Scheme:
https://www.nenkin.go.jp/service/kaigaikyoju/shaho-kyotei/sinseisho/us...

But maybe this is only for an employee of a company in Japan. I have not been able to find the full explanation in English so farc

BTW, does your American insurance cover you if you happen to go to a clinic while in Japan?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse visa without Japanese health insurance 2020/7/21 07:15
A tourist visa will not work. I cannot buy condo, open bank account or work
You said you are retired - so work isn't (or shouldn't be) an issue. And, "work" in japan is if you have a Japanese employer.
Buying property - thousands of non residents own property.
And, I lived happily in Japan for over a year without a local bank account - it's not hard.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread