Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Be your own guarantor for a spouse visa 2020/8/16 12:52
Hi everyone,

I applied for a spouse visa this thursday and because I already have a working visa I said to the immigration officer I didn't need any financial support from my wife so they didn't take the mimoto hoshousho 身元保証書(letter of guarantee) and I just wrote my annual income on the application form.

Now I am kinda worried...Was it better to give the mimoto hoshousho and let my wife being my guarantor?
by JamesNihon1  

Re: Be your own guarantor for a spouse visa 2020/8/16 15:58
Oh and I forgot to say they didnt take our couple pics, juuminhyo and a copy of my JLPT, is it normal? I asked the officer and he said they dont need these documents, just the minimal stuff.(最低限)
by JamesNihon1 rate this post as useful

Re: Be your own guarantor for a spouse visa 2020/8/16 16:20
So you ARE already in Japan, working here on an employer-sponsored resident status, and you applied for a change of status from the current one to “spouse of Japanese”?

As far as I understand, “spouse of Japanese national” status is granted so that the married couple can stay and live in Japan, and the letter of guarantee is to show that the spouse is fully supporting the application (not necessarily for the financial aspect).
I’d say you are likely to be requested to submit it at a later date, because that is part of the required documents. Nothing to worry about though, they’ll ask if they want it.

It is normal that they don’t ask for a copy of your JLPT. I am a bit surprised about not taking a copy of “juuminhyo,” but maybe they didn’t need it because you already have a resident card.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Be your own guarantor for a spouse visa 2020/8/16 16:23
even though you brought the 身元保証書 to immigration office and they did not take that document from you, then you don't need to be worried about.
but, if you refused to give it to them by the reason that you don't need financial support from your spouse, your application might not satisfy their requests.

身元保証書 is partly the document which guarantees your human personality by a Japanese spouse (3.法令の遵守). because it's just a formality, clever way of living in Japan is "give it to them without arguing". you lose nothing.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Be your own guarantor for a spouse visa 2020/8/16 16:39
Thanks for your quick answers.

I gave the 身元保証書 after I said I have a job and dont need a financial support but they didnt take it. Maybe they will ask this document and 住民票 later? I will keep you in touch, thanks again.

Re: Be your own guarantor for a spouse visa 2020/8/25 12:52
I just received a letter from the immigration asking me if I can send the 身元保証書、住民票 and some couple pictures... I still don't understand why they didn't ask these two weeks ago when I came to the office... Anyway I sent the documents back today, now I'm waiting for the 通知書.

reply to this thread