Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/7 14:13
So, I have been working as an engineer for a Japanese company for 9 months now. It is a small, not so traditional company, with 50% of employees being foreigners. My boss is not a very formal person, he is from Osaka and can speak english just fine.

I have a full leg and half of one of my arms tattooed. I have never felt the need to disclosure about them because I have always covered them up. The thing is, we will have a company trip to an onsen next month, and of course my tattoos will be exposed in one way or another... I checked the onsen's website and they seem to be ok with tattoos, but I am thinking that I should tell my boss in advance, just so we don't end up in any "weird" situation because of it. What do you think?

Thanks!
by John (guest)  

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/7 15:01
I meant "the need to disclose about them", sorry 😅
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/8 06:41
Despite what many people might think, there are a lot of people with tattoos in Japan. I have noticed that over the past few months I see someone different each day with visible tattoos in my local neighbourhood - some small, others much larger/extensive. Fortunately, mostly the art work is of a good quality.
If you have a good/relaxed relationship with your boss and co-workers, then you could easily broach the subject with them before the trip - as you say, there is an informal style and half of the company has non-Japanese workers. You might not be the only one with tattoos.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/8 09:02
Honesty is always the best policy!...better to talk to your Boss now and explain about your Tattoos..than be found out later and then loose respect from your Boss and Work mates for not being open and honest with them...as mentioned by previous reply..you may find many others also have Tattoos.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/8 12:14
Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking. It just didn't cross my mind that other coworkers might have some ink as well, it makes sense!

Thanks for the advices, it is very helpful and I appreciate it very much!

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/8 18:50
..it would be interesting to read your post here at a later date as to 'how your telling your boss and workmates' was accepted?..or not?...helpful for others with same concerns...good luck!
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/9 08:08
I would think twice about disclosing your tattoos. Yes, if you have no choice, I think you should tell your boss beforehand but If you were were my friend, I would be suggesting you make up an excuse not to go.

My answer may not be politically correct, and you know your boss and company better than I, but I think you have little to gain and a lot to lose.

Whether they say it or not there will be some who view you in a negative light
by Ric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/9 14:35
I agree with you Ric! You have a fair point... but since this is my first job in Japan, I thought it could be a good testing ground.

I did ask my boss, used a lot of keigo and tried to be very formal / apologetic about the situation.

He jokingly told me he does not care and that the company truly believes in diversity. Also, it's a small private onsen so it should be no problem.

If I was in a more traditional company I would think twice before disclosing about those things, I'd also not do it right away in a new job, I'd wait sometime so people can know me for who I am first, so the fact that I have tattoos becomes just another detail about me, and not a defining trait.

Thanks for all the advices, and hopefully this may be helpful for people in the future.

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/10 06:57
@Ric, not going on a company trip would possibly be (IMO) quite a rude approach if the expectation is all staff members are expected to attend (and being paid to do so). In previous companies I have worked at (not in Japan), not going to a company event/retreat would need a very good excuse.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Disclosure about my tattoos to my boss? 2020/9/14 17:53

Itfs best to be honest at work! It shows your dedication and responsibility
by Utagawa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread