Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Staying in Japan student visa not studying 2020/9/26 22:16
Hello I want to ask something if anyone has experience with that .

I am not on a student visa which is until 27 December but I had to quit my school on the 1 July because of the coronvirus situation. 3 month of school cancellation and loss of job in march .

I know you can stay 3 months after you done with your activities but I plan to stay until the end of visa what would be 6 months staying with student visa while not studying .
I went to the immigration in Sapporo 2 times already and told them that I left my school but I still have 6 month of visa left if there are any special virus regulations that I want to continue looking for a job and do the jlpt test in December again because July was cancelled . And both times I was told that I could stay with my student visa until the end because special regulations/ threatment now .
The one time I went there 3 guys where grabbing a book and checked the regulations and sayd I could stay until December .

Is this really right or does anyone has same case ?

I don't want to do anything illegal but I went there 2 times now and both times I was told I can keep it

by Cedric (guest)  

Re: Staying in Japan student visa not studying 2020/9/27 10:00
Hi Cedric,

I understand that you are trying to make sure you are doing the right thing and you do not want to break the law.

It sounds like you did the right thing by first of all inquiring with the immigration office in Sapporo, which is definitely the official place to ask such questions. You got the same answer twice - this is OK (i.e.: you could stay with my student visa until the end because special regulations/ treatment now). You cannot get a more reliable source than the immigration office itself, since they are the Government.

What sort of answers or reassurance are you hoping to find on the current forum?
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

Re: Staying in Japan student visa not studying 2020/9/27 17:32
You got your answer/s. Seems pretty clear.

As the virus situation is fluid. You would continue to ask the question monthly incase adjust the exceptions with visas.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Staying in Japan student visa not studying 2020/9/27 19:08
Hi Cedric,

Regardless of whatever you ask, be it about visa or any common daily question, keep record of what time, day, month and year you received the answer and from whom. It's okay to ask the name of the person answering. If anything happens, you can provide all that information, and people would know you're not making it up. At least, they would know where to investigate. When you're a young student, you're often not aware of this golden rule, but that's how it works in the real world.

Enjoy your stay in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Staying in Japan student visa not studying 2020/9/28 08:40
I would go back to the immigration office one more time, ask again, and make a polite request to get the answer in writing. Also as suggested above, note the date, time, location and name of the official who answered your questions. Once you have all that documented, make an extra copy of those papers, save them in case you need them later. Then I think you can relax.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Staying in Japan student visa not studying 2020/11/26 15:19
Hi Cedric,
I'm in the same situation, but I was told in Tokyo Immigration that I would have to week after 2 weeks of finishing the school. Due to the current situation, I would like to stay until my visa expires...
Were you able to finally stay without problems?
by Orlandu (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread