Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/6 13:06
My wish is to take one semester or full year of high school in japan after I graduate in America. I graduate in June of 2021 and I will be 18. Are there any schools that allow foreign students to reenter for a semester or full year? What programs allow this? What website can provide me with more information?
by Kou (guest)  

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/6 17:09
Do you read, speak and write Japanese fluently?
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/6 17:40
since you are a minor, at least one of your guardians should be in Japan. ( I mean one of the guardian should have a resident status.)
to enter high school, you have to pass the entrance examination.
since you have already graduated high school, you have to tell the school acceptable reason why you need to re-enter high school in Japan again. do you have ? (i.e. since you already graduated high school, you are eligible for entering university. why do you re-enter high school again ?)
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 10:29
Do you have a passport or visa status that would allow you to be in Japan and attend high school?

I think the most important question is: why do you want to do this? Could you get the same experience doing an exchange during university?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 10:52
My point in doing this is learn abit of their education, culture, and hopefully learn more about their school. This is an experience I want to go through and Ifve been wanting to do. Ifm unsure how the process would work out or what programs to apply to. I can experience the same with a university but I want to do with high school.
by Kou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 12:00
why does Japan need to satisfy your personal desire ?

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 12:00
Being able to read, speak and write fluent academic Japanese is really needed in Japanese high schools. If you have these skills - then a short google search in Japanese would give you this information if you look for reasonably quickly. If not - then you don't have the skills to attend local Japanese high schools.

As a teacher who has taught in Asia for around a decade - national schools are often focused towards getting students a job or into university. Apart from English class - most or all other classes are in the home language. Due to this - it's not really acceptable to just go to high school in another country because you want to.

International schools tend to be expensive and often needs a dependent visa to attend. From personal experience - international schools are VERY DIFFERENT than local schools as most classes are taught in English.

Could having an exchange year at a Japanese university be possible? I ask this because I don't see you attending a Japanese high school as a possibility.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 12:41
uMy point in doing this is learn a bit of their education, culture, and hopefully learn more about their school.v

Those are all admirable goals, but is there a reason you want to do that specifically at the high school level? You can also learn about Japanese education, culture, and schools while attending college classes in Japan.

If your interest is specifically in the culture and education of Japanese high school students, perhaps because you're hoping to one day work in the education/child psychology fields, then you'd probably have much better luck asking Japanese high schools if you could observe classes in an academic capacity, not attend them as a student.

On the other hand, if your desire to study in a high school is because it seems like the most fun, despite the idealized image of high school days shown in Japanese media, most actual Japanese people seem to enjoy their college days more.

Think of it this way Imagine if a 19-year old Japanese man or woman, who'd already graduated from high school in Japan, told an American high school he wanted to enroll and take classes. They'd probably be turned down: The school's job is to provide education to those who need it, which the man/woman would not, and parents probably wouldn't appreciate an adult socializing with their children just because of a personal interest in the experience.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 13:37
You didn't answer the other question about visa status. You can't just arrive in a country and expect to be allowed to stay. As far as I am aware, there is no visa available for Americans to attend high school in Japan (outside of an exchange organised with your home school, which would be impossible once you graduate and may not be offered by your school).

Hence why people are suggesting university exchange - you can get a visa allowing you to study in Japan. It also doesn't need to be at university; you could attend a language school.

Have you ever been to Japan before? I would also seriously consider visiting as a tourist first before locking yourself in to something more long-term. Yes, holidaying is not the same as living/studying/working there, but it will give you a taste of "real" Japan. You could rent a short-stay apartment or similar and stay in one place for a while (1-2 weeks, perhaps) to get a sense of living there.

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 16:17
High schools in Japan are not huge fun times like you see in anime.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/7 18:24
gIfh you were still in high school and find an exchange program between your school and a Japanese high school in Japan, one month or one semester might be possible. There are programs run by AFS or Rotary Club, etc. However, once you graduate, I donft think youfd be eligible for those.

If you are serious about doing a longer period like one year, I suggest you enroll in a college/university that has an extensive exchange programs with foreign countries including Japan, possibly enroll in a course that has some relevance to Japanese studies, and that might get you there.

by ....... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/8 15:41
if I were your parents, my advise is that go to university (not to college of short terms) in USA or Japan and get a chance of student exchange programs. then, you will have more flexible future.
flexible, I want to indicate, is that you have more chance to stay in Japan when you like it and, if you don't, you can have a chance of good jobs in USA.

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/9 07:09
When I was in high school (a long time ago) some of my classmates did a year in the US on one of the exchange programmes - they basically lost a year of education and it put them back almost as much as the self-indulgent "gap year" kids - i.e. it was a waste of their time. Your idea to come to Japan and squander a year doesn't seem very well thought out, and that is before the cost of actually living for a year is taken into consideration.
You will be very isolated if you cannot read/speak/write Japanese.
Plus, as you will not actually be studying/learning like the others in class (if you have finished school already) why would a school bother to accept you )and I agree with the other posters - what you see in anime is not what school life is actually like - it's a hard grind for many kids.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/9 08:07
This has nothing to do with anime actually. I don't understand why everyone thinks that. I want to learn more about the culture and study at a school in japan. I will enroll into a college in japan and that's my ultimate goal. I was missed informed by someone who told me it was necessary for me to take a semester of high school in japan in order to apply to a good college in japan.
by Kou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/9 11:43
@Kou, if you had said that in the first place - that you thought you needed to spend time at a Japanese high school to enrol in college there - this would have been much simpler to answer!

Regardless, I think you've received your answer - no, you would not be able to enrol in a Japanese high school post-graduation, especially without language skills or an appropriate visa. Aim for university now. good luck!

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/10 04:06
hi op,

i understand why you want to come to our japanese high school. it's a rare and wonderful experience that you can't experience again after you graduate. you should have done this earlier, not wait until after you graduate. and now, covid is hard for us, too. unfortunately, you might not be able to enroll. but if you really want to experience japanese culture, you can still do so outside of school, even easier and better. no homework. so just come, travel and see, save up some money, learn japanese first. sounds like american school is boring and dangerous, haha. but come study university, or work. you might like to live here.
ignore people who make fun of anime. :3
by japanesestudent (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I reenter in a HS in japan? 2020/10/10 07:07
@OP - correct, this has nothing to do with anime, the previous posters were referring to the fact that many people get a skewed view of Japan from the media they consume. Besides that, the points made above still stand.
As for getting into a good university - that's harder than getting into high school.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread