Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/16 10:10
Good day, everyone.

I know there's a post about this already, but it's dated 2011. I wonder how times have changed. Is it difficult to be hired as a psychologist in Japan, especially if you're coming from another country? (If you're worried about me not knowing about Japan culture, please don't. I've been studying the language and have been exposed to the culture for over 15 years.) What would be a good pathway into getting a job as a psychologist in Japan (e.g. pursue a master's degree at a Japanese university first, then search jobs after graduating)? I know Tell JP specializes in having foreign psychologists cater to foreigners living in Japan. Are there other such services I could possibly apply for?

If you're a psychologist not born in Japan, but are working in Japan, I'd love to know how you got your job there!

Thank you very much. Have a very pleasant day.
by Miso (guest)  

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/16 13:48
Miso, can you be more specific about your background - there is a big difference between "studying the language" and being fluent (and knowing the relevant psychological terms), and between "being exposed to the culture" and understanding Japanese culture at a native level.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/18 21:28
Hi there! Thanks for your response. I've passed JLPT Level N4, and I've been watching variety shows (especially Arashi shows) since 2005 (plus anime, and jdrama). I've traveled over 25 times to Japan, and have worked for a Japanese company remotely from my country (although it sadly closed down). I don't know the psychological terms in Japanese, so I was wondering if pursuing Master's in Japan would help with that.

Have a great day!
Miso
by Miso (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/18 21:33
Apologies. I meant to say I passed JLPT Level N2.

Miso

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/19 11:27
TV shows is very different from real life.

Considering Japan has some of the most unique behavoiurs and ways of life. Eg work hierarchy, old school style house/home lifestyles. You would almost need to have lived a long time in Japan to really understand these intricacies common to Japanese behaviours and way of life. Psychology is the study of human behavoiurs.

So yes if you can, study in Japan so you could learn through life experience and not television shows how Japanese like is.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/19 12:28
Thank you for your response.

I would really like to know more about specifics about getting to work as a psychologist in Japan rather than an analysis of whether I'm good for it or not. I hope others can shed light onto this. Perhaps a show of their experience (Did they take masters? How did they look for their job? Do we need a certification? Do we need to be registered with a certain body of experts? etc)

Thank you very much. Have a pleasant day.

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/19 14:14
As a person who used to work in Japan as a teacher, I can confirm that Japan and North Asia has a very different view on Psychology than the West. I won't go into too much detail - but others can say more.

Due to the technical nature of the subject - being able to ask these questions in written Japanese to a more relevant forum will give you more pertinent advice along with displaying that you have the Japanese language skills to be able to access the content to be covered in either a Bachelor or Masters program in Japan.

There are a limited number of psychologists in Japan that speak English and serve mainly the expat community. Contacting one of these people directly might be your best bet. Going back to my first point about psychology in Japan - many of our Japanese students would access these same psychologists even though English is their secondary language. I hope that is clear enough to read between the lines.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/19 15:20
Thank you for your response, mfedley.
Those are super duper helpful tips, which I will surely take as points of action.
Thank you kindly. Have a great rest of your day!

NOTE: Since I think that answers my question, I will stop following this thread. Thanks for all the input.

Re: Working as a psychologist in Japan 2020/10/19 16:18
I have never meet any psychologist in Japan in a whole long life in Japan as a Japanese.
I hope OP understands the sentence "Japan and North Asia has a very different view on Psychology than the West.h by mfedley.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread