Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quitting school, work permit still valid 2020/10/20 23:10
Hello everyone. I am currently attending language school with a student visa that will expire on January 2021. I also have the 28hs job permit. Recently I've been offered a full-time job, and they want me to start as soon as possible. They said that I could start working 28hs a week until I get the working visa, but I would still have to quit school because it is incompatible with school hours.

My question is the following, once I apply for the working visa could I drop school and start working right away on a 28hr basis until I get the new visa or the job permit also expires? From the company they told me is possible but I wanted a second opinion.

By the way I am a software developer and would be working on a temp contract (”hŒ­ŽÐˆõ), the end client is Rakuten.

Thank you all for your reply!
by Tomas (guest)  

Re: Quitting school, work permit still valid 2020/10/21 11:55
Hi

Be very careful about taking their word for it as they are not immigration experts and it could land you in trouble.

I'm pretty sure that if you quit school then you are no longer deemed as meeting the requirements of you residence status and therefore your work permit will also become invalid. I am not 100% certain on this but I have read it before.

Your best bet is to ask immigration directly. But do not take the company's word
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quitting school, work permit still valid 2020/10/21 13:24
You need to be studying on a student visa. You have permission to work up to 28 hours. Not a permit to work 28 hours.

Stop studying and you need to inform immigration with 14 days. Changes will happen from there.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Quitting school, work permit still valid 2020/10/21 13:42
Technically you lose your permission to engage in other activities permit once you stop school.
Also note that you need to apply for change of status not apply visa. Two different things.
Get caught doing something you are not suppose to do will affect your change of status application.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread