Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working in Japan's pharmaceutical industry 2020/11/16 09:47
i live in canada and im 14 and i wanna work as a pharmacist in a pharmaceutical industry in japan. to be honest im hesitating between pharmacist and ingeneer and i just wanted to know wich one will make me find a jo in japan easier and how do i get to work there?and i live in quebec btw (sorry if that didnt make sense, english isnt my first language)
by raissa (guest)  

Re: Working in Japan's pharmaceutical industry 2020/11/16 14:08
At 14, this decision isn't really worth considering right now - so much could change between now and when you start work. What is most important now for you is to learn Japanese, as being fluent will assist you no matter what job you decide on.

Note that to work in a Japanese workforce, you would be expected to have knowledge of Japanese language specific to the job, particularly in a medical field such as pharmacy. This is not something taught in regular language classes, so could easily be a barrier to you finding a job in the industry.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan's pharmaceutical industry 2020/11/16 14:20
Just building on what was said by the previous poster - being able to read, write and speak academic Japanese for a pharmacy/engineering job will be needed unless you are seen as a foreign expert in a specific field.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Working in Japan's pharmaceutical industry 2020/11/16 20:36
If you are sure you want to work in Japan and nowhere else, then study pharmaceutic science in Japan in Japanese.
Meaning that you need to learn excellent Japanese first. I would guess it roughly takes 2-3 years full time studying to get to this level. Then you can enroll to university in Japan and once you graduate you can look for a job in Japan as your classmates will do.

The other way is to come to Japan AFTER having build a career in your own country or somewhere else. This was my case. I studied biotechnology, and then by gaccidenth ended up in pharmaceutical industry. I worked for 15 years in Spain and Germany and the moved to Japan (initially on a dependent visa), studied Japanese for about 1.5 years and during that time was approached by a Japanese company for my experience. I still work there now for over 5 years (although now I am back in Europe but would normally go to Japan for about 4-5 months a year).

You could potential study pharmaceutical science (or other related curriculums) in your home country and then learn Japanese and try to find a job with no/little working experience abroad, but I think this is difficult. For entry level candidates I would say Japanese companies look at graduates from Japan. For more senior candidates, there is an interest in hiring from abroad.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread