Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tips for a transfer student in Japan? 2020/11/17 18:02
Ummm.. Im alrdy 16 yrs old and we're going to live in japan next year and my only prob is that i cant speak and write japanese(but i can write hiragana n katakana a lil bit but needs more practice lmao) And how am i suposed to act and how am i supposed to introduce my self in class?(ik like dis is a basic ques but i still need ur ans thannkss) Are they gon laugh at me if im not fluent in japanese? Thankss
by akaashi (guest)  

Re: Tips for a transfer student in Japan? 2020/11/17 18:16
Will you be attending a Japanese high school, as in the classes are completely in Japanese? Or will you be attending an international or other school that teaches in English? I would highly recommend the latter with your current level of Japanese.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2020/11/17 18:43
Japanese school cuz we cant afford the international schoolbxndjdb
by Akaashi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tips for a transfer student in Japan? 2020/11/17 19:07
As far as I know, if a person does a self-introduction in something other than his/her native language, he/she would be admired rather than made fun of.

In other words, it would help if your homeroom teacher could make sure the students know you're not good at Japanese. Also, I hope your school properly provides you special classes for you to learn the language.

Be yourself, don't loose your sense of humor, and you'll be alright - even though things may go up and down in your youth.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tips for a transfer student in Japan? 2020/11/17 21:14
Compulsory Education in Japan finishes at age 15 to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not sure that formal education to a non-Japanese speaker would be wise at your age - in my professional opinion as an international teacher. Attending some type of language school would be needed and my knowledge is limited on this. This would at least give you a chance to understand what is being said in the classroom.

Indian schools (who teach in English) may not be the best in the world - but are very affordable if you are moving to a city with one compared to other international schools.

I've got lot's to say - but sometimes saying less is better than saying more.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Tips for a transfer student in Japan? 2020/11/17 21:32
Thank you!!
by akaashi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tips for a transfer student in Japan? 2020/11/18 07:24
how am i supposed to introduce my self
Basic greeting and self introduction is something you need to do all the time - learn the phrases by rote. There are some basic/free resources on the internet.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Tips for a transfer student in Japan? 2020/12/7 20:38
In the US, everyone has their own schedule and moves to their next class when the bell rings. In Japan, itfs different. Teachers come to each classroom to teach their subject. Instead of having a classroom, teachers have their own desk in the teachersf room (which is usually piled high with papers). Although it is a little unfortunate to not be able to mingle with students from other classes, it gives a student a sense of community and teamwork by belonging to your own class.
by ThomasWeek rate this post as useful

reply to this thread