Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/5 11:19
I have a dependent visa and my spouse is a foreigner with a HSP visa. Can I invest some money in Japan share market? Should I need to obtain a part-time work visa for it? Would you please advise? Thank you.
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/5 15:38
Invest you own money? Or invest FOR someone THEIR money?

Investing your own money isn’t “working” so you can definitely do that.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/5 15:50
Thank you for your reply. I understand that investing own money is not working, but I was curious about the income from the share market. How can I earn from Japan share market without a suitable visa in Japan? Is it legal to earn money as a dependent in Japan? I would also curious about the income tax of such earning. Thank you.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/5 18:07
Is it legal to earn money as a dependent in Japan?
Yes, it is perfectly legal to earn money, but if you earn money through working you need a permit. I think on your visa category you should be able to get a permit (it’s not automatic) to work something like 20 or 28h/week (sorry don’t remember the hours).

But if you earn money in other ways, eg renting out a property, earning dividends from the stock market, trading on the stock market that’s not work.

But yes, you’d be liable for taxation. Likely depending on where you earn that money (eg di you rent out a house in your home country or in Japan), plus it depends on the countries we are talking (eg is there a tax treaty in place) and the length of your residence in Japan.

If you have that serious money that you think you can really make an income from investing in Japanese stock market (why only Japanese stock market?? Diversification is the trick normally in investments) , you can contact a tax advisor to help you through your taxes.
If you just have a few thousand €/$/£ , and absolutely want to invest them in Japanese stocks go ahead. It’s unlikely you’ll make more than a few percent gain every year, so taxation isn’t really your problem. Eg investing 10,000 € maybe could give you 200 € if all goes to plan. That’s not something that will trigger a tax payment.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/6 16:16
open 証券口座 in 証券会社, and open 特定口座 and choose 源泉聴取あり. you have no problem for taxation.
but, if you invest your spouse's money under your name, it will become complicated. sometimes, you need to pay 贈与税.
practically, you can invest your spouse's money under your spouse's name, if you have an agreement. but, the profit and/or loss belong to your spouse.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/8 09:47
Many thanks. I am now confused. Actually my spouse gives me a fix amount every month for our living expenses, from which I save some money every month in my Japanese saving bank account. I would like to invest that money. I understand that it is not my money. So how can I legally invest it under my name to earn some money in Japan?

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/8 16:34
what you are saying is へそくり.
there is no concept of "joint account" in Japan. so, each account should belong to either one.
about legal matters,
you and your husband can make an agreement document, 贈与契約書, which shows that your husband gives money to you. he can give money (up to 1100000 yen per year) to you without taxation. if the money (annual giving) exceeds more than 1100000 yen, you need to file it to tax office (and pay some tax).

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/9 01:07
Thank you. I confused again that my spouse can give me 1100000 per year through 贈与契約書 without taxation. I just explored about 贈与契約書, but I don't want to go this way. So Sorry for this. But as much as I know my spouse's company files the tax for their employees and my spouse shows me as a dependent with zero income for which 380000 per year is not taxed. How much can I invest in Japanese share market without any problem?

Re: Invest money in Japan share market 2020/12/9 11:23
because you want to follow everything legally, I have advised you.
because you have no income, you have no money which belong to you legally.
贈与 will be a solution for you.
I should point out that 贈与 will not affect your spouse's income filing (i.e. your dependent status (on tax purpose) is not changed).

reply to this thread