Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/7 23:11
Having learned Hiragana, Katakana, about 500 Kanji, with some knowledge of Japanese grammar, and found a private high school we would want to attend, is it possible to go to school in Japan?

I have 3 more years and aiming to at least earn 2000000\ - 5000000\ by the end of each year, working online and doing other jobs.

My friend is doing the same, we are doing a challenge people would consider difficult but it is possible to be done, I hope you answer my question, thank you!
by Myusumi (guest)  

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/8 10:50
Most important detail first: do you currently live in Japan? Do you have a visa to reside in the country? How old are you - are you high school age?

In terms of language, can you follow native Japanese - e.g. TV, music, movies? That would be a good judge of your language skills.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/8 11:01
Are you high school age?
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/8 11:52
There is no age limit to attend high school in Japan, especially if it's a tei-ji-sei. You just need proof that you are a resident who have accomplished junior high school education worth, and you need to pass the entrance exam which may not be that difficult depending on the high school. To be a resident in Japan is a whole different story.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/8 16:58
it seems that 定時制高校 is not qualified for student visa.
if you are working right now, your age may be higher than those of ordinary Japanese students. if so, the school may not accept you. I believe there is almost none of adult students in daytime high schools practically.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/8 18:07
No high school is qualified for student visa.

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/8 19:21
Could asking this question on a Japanese education forum in Japanese give you a better answer?

This will tell the reader that (a) you have the written language skills to be successful in a Japanese school and (b) may have people who know more specifics about the moving to Japan.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/8 22:48
actually, foreigners can have student visa (status), when they are students of 全日制高校, daytime high school.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to a high school in Japan? 2020/12/9 00:58
actually, foreigners can have student visa (status), when they are students of 全日制高校, daytime high school.

Thank you, Ken. That's great then!

Just as an example, below is how application for daytime public high schools in Tokyo is handled. It differs depending on the prefecture. Whether you'd be granted entrance is another story.
https://www.kyoiku.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/admission/high_school/interview/e...

Meanwhile, my understanding is that most private schools have an age limit. I wonder how it works with the private school the OP has in mind. I also wonder if the school is qualified for a student visa. Not all daytime schools are 全日制.

reply to this thread