Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pension withdrawal and resident card related 2020/12/18 17:45
Hi,

I hold Work permit(Engineer Visa) in Japan for 5 years. However, due to early closure of my assignment I am moving out of Japan with in 2 years only and want to claim lumpsum pension withdrawal. I have a question on my residence status once I take lumpsum withdrawal amount. Should I have to submit my residence card at immigration? or Can I take it along with me? If I take it, will my resident card be valid? Can I apply for jobs in future with this residence status and come back to Japan or it is completely fresh process. Please suggest. thanks
by RD (guest)  

Re: Pension withdrawal and resident card related 2020/12/18 20:16
If you leave your current job you need to report this change to immigration. I think within 14 days. Then if you want to search for a new job in Japan (within your visa category) you can do so. You normally get a bit of time, eg 3 months). During that time you can travel outside of Japan, but you are still a resident of Japan and cannot claim the pension lump sum . You can only claim that once you decided to LEAVE Japan for good.
At that point you claim your lump sum, you go to your local ward office, pay all remaining taxes (if you live in Japan in January youfll need to pay all 2021 per taxes. If you officially leave in December you donft!) and then you go to the airport and leave Japan for good. Your resident card will be made obsolete at the border and you are no longer a resident.

If you later find a new job in Japan, the new company will need to process a new visa from scratch.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Pension withdrawal and resident card related 2020/12/18 20:21
Thank you very much. I Understood the process now.
by RD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Pension withdrawal and resident card related 2020/12/18 22:05
"If you officially leave in December you donft!"
if you leave in December 2020, you are not charged 2021 resident tax. but, you have to pay the remaining of 2020 resident tax at city office.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread