Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/22 23:48
My wife (Japanese) and I are currently reside overseas and are planning to move to Japan. I am trying to fill in the spouse visa form. When it comes to the Guarantor, shall I fill in my wife's name (though she is not in Japan now and doesn't have income in Japan) or her parents who are living in Japan now? Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
by Yann7 (guest)  

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/23 16:39
The guarantor normally needs to show proof have large savings or regular income by way of tax returns.

So your wife not being in Japan and not working in Japan kinda gives you the answer.
by h (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/23 20:08
I will be doing this myself soon hopefully, and from my knowledge you can have more than one guarantor. If your wife has some savings it would be good, but seeing as she doesn't currently work in Japan it could prove to be a little difficult.
If her parents are willing to be your guarantor, then it could be a good choice. They basically want to kno that if you cannot pay your rent ect, that the guarantor will. I assume you intend on working when you're in Japan too, so her parents (if they are your guarantor) shouldn't worry about that. Also, as a side note - I believe you can have guarantors from your home country too. Although, I believe it's less effective in the application process. However, in my opinion th more guarantors you have, the stronger your application is. But in truth, you'll probably be all right with one strong guarantor that's living in Japan.
Good luck with your application, I hope that it will go well for you.
by Goosie rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/24 11:08
Thank you for your advice.
I also prepare to submit my bank statement to show the savings I have, which will be used to support my own expense in Japan. However, I don't have a bank account in Japan yet and these statement are banks overseas. Not sure if that help but I will submit together with my application form.
by Yann (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/24 19:31
I think that it is fine whether it's overseas or not. I think there is a part on the guarantor document that asks for how much yen you have. I was just going to use Google to convert my saving to an estimate of yen lol.
by Goosie rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/26 00:49
Will proceed to submit as advised. One more question. Do we apply for the Certificate and Visa (forms) at the same time? Or shall we first apply for COE, once approved then only submit the visa application form with the approved COE? Thanks.
by Yann7 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/28 00:06
I think you can just go for the CoE and once you receive it you will have to hand in your passport + the VISA form.
by とくちは (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/1/28 00:07
CoE + Visa form + Passport I mean ;D
by とくちは (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/3/27 02:47
I just called and talked to someone at the Japanese embassy in the US. He said, if your (Japanese) wife is currently living abroad too, she can't be the guarantor. I asked about her parents not having much money, he said (though I have read otherwise) that it didn't matter. Perhaps that had to do with the fact that I had already told him that we've been married over 10 years and have 2 kids and that I have lived in Japan before under a spouse visa? I don't know.

In regards to CoE. I don't believe you need that for a spouse visa. I'm sure it would really strengthen your application if you did, but not necessary if you have a family guarantor.
by MD (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/3/27 12:07
You can not apply for spouse visa . Unfortunately your situation is very difficult .

Can I know how old r u and how long that marrige ?
by Jamine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/3/27 12:08
You will never have COE according that situation . Impossible ❤
by Jack (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse Visa Guarantor 2021/4/4 15:38
Hello everyone,

@Yann7, when you are applying from the US (at least through Japanese Consulate in SF in NorCal), you DO NOT need to apply for an CoE nor will you be issued one.

You just submit all the documents to the Japanese consulate in SF and get issued a Spouse of Japanese National visa after five days (the "five" days was my case).

You can have a look at the Japan Consulate in SF official page: https://www.sf.us.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/e_m02_01_03.html , see the "Spouse or Child of Japanese National" section.

I have posted about my experiences in one of the earlier posts:
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+173446 (see my reply from "2020/9/13 00:59")

As my spouse visa guarantor, we wrote down my mother-in-law, who provided kazeishomeisho (課税証明書) and nozeishomeisho (納税証明書).

Since my MiL only works part time, I also showed my own funds. I showed slightly over 30k USD in my account (for context: when I called them at one point to try to understand *exactly* how much I need to show as the main applicant, I was told by whoever I was talking to that they want to see that I have around 3 million yen in my account, which is around 30k USD). It seems it was enough for the Consular officer that was checking my papers. I also needed to ensure that the money is available in my account for at least a month, so that it will be reflected in a monthly bank statement.

Also, you may find the following useful:
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+173680 ("My move to Japan in Oct during Covid times")
by MrZaggy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread