Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Difference in train duration 2021/2/8 07:37
I checked Hyperdia and found the following:
Namba (subway) - Sagaarashiyama
0904-1009 65 min
I also found the following:
Namba (subway) - Shin Osaka
0823-0838 15 min
Shin Osaka - Sagaarashiyama
0848-0931 43 min
Duration 58 min
Why is there a 7 minutes difference in time when
I check the segments separately?
Thanks in advance!
by chong 1301  

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/8 11:37
Namba to Saga-Arashiyama is not possible as one trip. They are two different train companies.

Hankyu railways you could do Namba to Arashiyama stations. It is more direct and quicker.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/8 11:40
Also Shin-Osaka to Saga-Arashiyama has a tranfer at Kyoto. It is not direct. So time difference would be due to this maybe.

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/8 11:50
Sorry it is direcy from Umeda, not Namba sorry.

Anyway, 3 tranfers. This is the reason for different times.

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/8 12:39
I suppose the 0823 connection is better than the 0904 connection. What date do you wish to travel on, by the way?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/8 13:57
Thanks for the suggestions.
Planning to depart in October to see fall colors.
by chong 1301 rate this post as useful

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/8 18:23
Thanks for the feedback. I don't see any 8:23 trains nor 9:04 trains at the moment, but I'm sure schedules will change by October anyway.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/9 07:29
With three different trains and two transfers, there will be differences based on which train you actually get, and if one (or other) skips stops like the faster JR Sagano Line Rapid Service vs the regular all stops service. Also, if you know the connections the "5-minute walk" between stations at Osaka station or the transfer within Kyoto station can take less time (or more if you are unfamiliar).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/10 14:10
Another question:
Namba-Nagoya
Why does Hyperdia show all connections thru Osaka instead of Shin Osaka?
Per Hyperdia
Namba-Osaka-Nagoya
0746-0925 99 min
My research
Namba-Shin Osaka
0750-0806 16 min
Shin Osaka-Nagoya
Wait 12
0818-0925 67 min
Times are similar but less walking if connection is thru Shin Osaka.
Am I missing something?

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/10 18:14
There is no direct Namba to Shin-Osaka route. Transfer at Osaka with a walk.

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/10 22:11
There is no direct Namba to Shin-Osaka route. Transfer at Osaka with a walk.

Well there is. Subway line Midosuji line.

To OP, you are over thinking it. Just look at google maps (or Hyperdia) the day before and decide a few train connections that would work. Yes, there are faster and slower trains. So once you are at the platform check if you can take a faster one (instead of the first one passing) but ultimately for shorter distances , even the faster ones donft make a HUGE difference. Sometimes one is trying to plan everything to the minute but then gloosesh this 5 min you gained by waiting in line at the toilet or just sitting somewhere a few more minutes to take a rest.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/10 23:10
Thanks
This was a trip that was planned for April 2020, rescheduled to April 2021 and delayed until October of this year for obvious reasons.
I have nothing but time on my hands and I am revising my itinerary and try to select trains with the shortest durations when trips take more than an hour.
I plan my sightseeing times based on the trains departure times since usually the same "fast" train is
available every hour.

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/11 00:19
To OP, time schedules of trains are often revised. Normally on April 1st. So checking now for October such detail is not very productive. Maybe if you have too much time you could do some more research on your destinations. Or just go outside for a walk (covid permitting).
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Difference in train duration 2021/2/11 07:39
Why does Hyperdia show all connections
Hyperdia is a useful tool, but it (and Google which also does routes) is not perfect. There are sometimes connections and routes that are better (or different trains) that will never show up unless you place severe restrictions or conditions on the search. Other times, local or specific knowledge will allow a better (subjective) route and set of train combinations or connections.
As an example, over the years I have done a huge number of trips from my house out to Narita Airport. there are simple/expensive routes, some faster, some slower. My current combination using three trains/two different companies minimises my time and cost, but I would not recommend it for a new visitor to Japan.
I am doing a trip next week, and the cheapest version involves four trains, but that is a pain, so I am using the version with just one transfer (two trains) - yes, an extra 20 minutes, but that is not much. Hyperdia also pulls up a route with a completely pointless leg (one going one stop on a local train), inserting an extra transfer that is not required, and no one would consider. That would be like changing trains between Tokyo and Ueno.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread