Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/12 12:20
While receiving the "My Number Card", I set a PIN and a password.
I am wondering where to used the password? So far, I can't find any login related information in the "My Number Card" webpage.
by X (guest)  

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/12 21:47
As far as I know,
1. When you withdraw your Juminhyo at a convenience store.
2. For e-taxing.
by Tai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/13 07:35
Practically, you will probably never use them.
One odd thing about the system, even if/when the cards expire, the number remains valid. My card expired a few years ago and the advice I got (from city hall) was basically that it was fine, and don't bother to get it re-issued (which seemed complicated and time consuming).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/13 08:51
@JapanCustomTours
That's really odd. I use MyNumber Card quite often. When you open a bank account, just the number in your mind wouldn't be valid. You need to show them the card itself.

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/14 06:27
@Tai - I opened my bank account ages ago, and yes, I had my card at that time. Otherwise, I think I have used the card twice since then (in the last five years), and neither of those times was for Japan, but for other countries where I have a bank account.
Thinking hard about it, I have used it at the post office as ID collecting registered mail once, but now I simply show my drivers license.

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/14 09:20
Oddly enough, when borrowing Covid-19 support money from Japan Finance Corporation in 2020 , I was refused to use My Number Card as an ID. I had to use a copy of my driver's license. I think there was one more incident where My Number Cards wouldn't be acceptable as an ID.

A leisure visit to the U.S. in 2019 convinced me that the My Number Card would be a great system, but I feel that the true age of My Number Cards is yet to come in Japan. Maybe things will change when the "Digital Ministry" is launched next September, or maybe we need to wait until the majority of residents obtain the card.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/14 19:29
@Uco
It should be because MN requires a higher security level to deal with. Also companies make their employees MN in a special system that are different from their employment insurance number, pension number, and stuff.

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/14 23:12
Thank you, Tai. You may be right, but things like e-tax allows you to use your MN Card from home if you have a card reader (or if you've registered your Card in person at your local tax office). And that wasn't the case with JFC. Anyway, what I wanted to say on-topic was that (A) the MC Card is not fully in function at the moment, but (B) that doesn't mean that you shouldn't obtain one.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How to use My Number PIN and password 2021/2/15 07:37
things like e-tax allows you to use your MN Card from home if you have a card reader
That is a good point, and I was going to use my MyNumber card on an application last year and apply online, but due to the stranglehold the major telcos have on handset supply, my brand new Galaxy10e could not use the official "app" because only the 10 and 10s were sold in Japan (card reading functions across the range were identical), just the pedantic developers didn't bother including all models on the list.

One other point about the use of the MN system in Japan, it is not compulsory, and while I have not seen an updated number for a while, the uptake was initially very low. Last value I saw was 15% of the population. Simply, there are ways to get around it for most people. There are some things where entities like banks (some) require it before undertaking some services, like international funds transfer. But even then, I know someone (Japanese national) that moved a lot of yen out of the country and I am sure they didn't have a MN card. They did spend a whole day at a bank filling out forms though. . . . .

reply to this thread