Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Alt/Instructor visa 2021/2/19 22:23
Hi! Hope this post finds you well!
So I got a job offer as an ALT from a private school in Japan. I applied for an instructor visa with the help of a legal consultant that hired by the school.

The consultant just sent me an email that the immigration wanted me to provide any proof of 12 years of Education in English (bcs I'm not a native speaker) but all my diplomas from Elementary to High School are not in English tho the program was (partly) conducted in English. I am afraid that it will affect the visa changing process. Would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm in Japan already. Will be graduating from a Japanese Uni (master's program)
by kid lives in japan  

Re: Alt/Instructor visa 2021/2/20 09:31
If it was "partly conducted in English" then you don't have 12 years of education taught in English. I think this will be a red flag.
by ' ' ' (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Alt/Instructor visa 2021/2/20 14:30
Thanks for your comment!

I was wondering if my position for being in Japan already, hired directly by a private school, and having a legal consultant to help me applying for a visa would get me some leeway
by kid lives in japan rate this post as useful

Re: Alt/Instructor visa 2021/2/20 16:21
The fact that you are already in Japan would have given a good reason for the employer to want to employ you.

But I donft think that would give you any gleewayh with immigration – but if the legal consultant didnft think your application was likely to go through, they wouldnft have taken your request. The consultant would probably ask you why the certificate is not in English, if your courses were taught ginh English, and if you could give a good reason, the consultant would probably attach the reason with the certificate and submit it to the immigration authorities. Since the consultant is hired by your employer-to-be, theyfd do their best to get your application through, provided you are qualified (this part they cannot change).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Alt/Instructor visa 2021/2/22 17:15
I think you should translate your certificates and send both the original and the translation. If possible, try to get a certificate where it says that you received English education (as a subject, partially, or whatever your case is). If your school is going forward with your visa just do what theyfve told you as they should know well.
I got my instructor visa CoE as a non-native, 12 years of English education as a subject, without any issues. Just as my hiring company said.
I believe that the g12 years of education in English onlyh is kind of a made up thing many companies keep saying to prevent non-natives from applying to them.
by miho85 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread