Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Entering Japan as a spouse (but no visa) 2021/2/22 10:31
Hi there!

I am married to a Japanese man, and we both live in my country now. We kept hoping last year that we'll be able to go visit our family in Japan, but the borders are still closed to international visitors.

As I don't have any kind of Japanese visa, I was thinking it was impossible for me to go with him, but then I read somewhere that there are exceptions in some cases for spouses of Japanese nationals, although there weren't further details. Does anyone have any recent experience? Would they let you in as a spouse, even without a visa?

Thanks in advance!
by Cristina (guest)  

Re: Entering Japan as a spouse (but no visa) 2021/2/22 13:48
No visa or resident status to show that you are spouse of Japanese, then answer is most probabky no.

then I read somewhere that there are exceptions in some cases for spouses of Japanese nationals,
those are either with resident status or issued a visa as spouse.

even if you are from visa waiver country, you cannot enter Japan at this moment. To immigration on paper your are just tourist or temporary visitor, not spouse.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan as a spouse (but no visa) 2021/2/22 16:03
As far as I know, currently they are not allowing non-Japanese people without a long-term visa into Japan. If they were talking about gspouses of Japanese,h they were probably talking about situations where the couple was already living in Japan together (so the non-Japanese spouse would have gspouse of Japaneseh resident status), then the non-Japanese spouse had to leave (for their home country for example) temporarily, then trying to get back into Japan.

If you donft have a long-term visa for Japan, and just want to come visit, that would be considered to fall within gTemporary VIsitorh (even if it is to visit your in-laws), and would not be a reason for special handling.

Please have your Japanese spouse check either with the Embassy of Japan in your country, or with the immigration office in Tokyo, as the situation can change quickly. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Entering Japan as a spouse (but no visa) 2021/2/23 07:57
Would they let you in as a spouse, even without a visa?
No. There is no uncertainty in that answer.
The official guidance is that they are not issuing visas for even temporary visitors currently, and you would not be able to visit until such time as they do start issuing them. The visa waiver programme is also suspended for the majority of countries under that programme (about 65 out of 67 countries).
You will be allowed to visit when the country permits tourist and temporary visitor at some time in the future.
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread