Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/22 12:57
Hi everyone! I know it's incredibly hot and humid in the summer in the majority of Japan. And while we may not be able to travel there this year, that's not stopping me from putting together travel plans for possible trips in the future.

With that in mind, I am curious what your favourite experiences and places to visit are in the summer in Japan?
by valdezja  

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/22 15:22
From 2016-2019, I went to Japan every mid June to early July. Hands down, one of my favorite things to do is hydrangea viewing. I love hydrangeas and there are some really spectacular places to view them in Japan. They're not as delicate as sakura and look stunning with gray clouds and/or rain. Mimurotoji in Uji and the Michinoku Hydrangea Forest near Ichinoseki were two of my favorites. I also think Summer is a great time for ninja training at 48 Falls. I barely passed ninja school and one of my problem areas was water walking. Falling into a deep river is much better in Summer than in Spring or Fall. The sweet potato ice cream sandwiches that look like sweet potatoes also were delicious. I keep meaning to go to a firefly viewing garden near the Chizanso Hotel in Tokyo as well. I like firefly/lightning bugs a lot and use to catch them in the Summer growing up. (We let them go after holding them.) I know later in the Summer there are festivals and fireworks, but I rather like the two weeks I've been going.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/22 15:35
Generally for me most of the summer (July /August) in Japan (Tokyo area) is too hot. So my favorite thing is to remain indoors in air conditioning. Apart from that, I really like the fireworks. Specially in more rural places. Also itfs a great time to visit Hokkaido and the mountains in Tohoku.
But generally my preference in summer is not to be in Japan.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/22 18:31
Okay, I'm a Japanese resident, but I LOVE lazing in humid summers Gauguin-painting style. I would spend days in an island beach, preferably in Setonaikai, or make day trips to one in Hayama. And of course, every time I hear fireworks, I'd jump out of my home to find out where it is. I'd also stroll down food stalls at summer festivals held in temples.

But my mom hates humidity, so she would enjoy a trip to the highlands in maybe Nagano or further up north. No air condition is required there, and sansai (wild mountain vegetables) would be in season.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/22 21:31
I would pick June over July or August if you have a choice. Not only is it less hot but it is also less crowded. I think foreigners tend to overworry about the rainy period (gtsuyuh). Unless you really have bad luck, it doesnft rain all that much. (Early June is better than late.) But if you want fireworks then you have to go later in the summer.

I have grown accustomed to seeing fireflies every trip (I am usually there in June but they come out later in some places), and find them absolutely magical. But they are elusive and the best you can do is organize your itinerary so you will be in one or more places where they are likely to be out during the time you are there, and hope that the conditions favor them.

Like rkold, I love hydrangeas, and they are a lot easier to find than fireflies. But in recent years lotus blossoms have become my first love (I am so fickle). They are easy to find in July and August but if you try hard enough you can find them in June. Amazing flowers....

Of course festivals are a big deal. There is an endless list. One of my favorites is Chagu Chagu Umakko in Morioka (second Saturday in June). It is noticeably less crowded than many others, and itfs possible to do it as a day trip from Tokyo if you have a rail pass (otherwise it would be a frightfully expensive day). But itfs easier if youfre based farther north. Itfs kind of a specialized event, especially good if you like horses.

Early morning rotenburo bathing. I tend to wake up very early and like to pick accommodations that have bathing facilities that are open all night. It gets light out amazingly early in June.

Recreational train riding. This is something you can do in all weather and is a great way to escape the heat. My preferred style of travel is to stay in a small number of places for multiple-night stays and take day trips using a rail pass.

And of course, beer drinking!!!
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/22 22:53
Would i "survive" :-) june-august in Japan, if weather in mid march in both Delhi, Kerala and southern Vietnam (temperatures between 30-40C, in Delhi maybe even over 40 at airport) and august in southern Italy, were quite OK for me? And being a northener, i really like sauna procedures so i guess those summer months are not that terrible? Several hours per day would be anyway either in trains, trains stations or other cooler buildings.

BR,
Lauri
by Lauriandres (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/23 00:12
Lauri,

The thing about summers in Japan is that it's extremely humid. The climates you mentioned may be hot but much drier, compared to, say, August in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. In recent years, summers in Japan have become so critically hot and humid that even local residents are advised to stay in air-conditioned rooms for most days during August (depends on the forecast). So don't expect to come to Japan in August and do everything you planned to do in, say, May. The pandemic is not the only reason people are concerned about scheduling the Tokyo Olympics this August.

But as mentioned, July and also September are much more comfortable (and healthy) than August, and even in mid-August, you can still travel to cooler resorts and northern cities to enjoy sightseeing! Hey, even the TOKYO Olympics marathon is scheduled to be held in Sapporo, a city 800 km north from Tokyo.

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/23 03:00
We've been caught in rain during my 2-2.5 weeks. We go when we go because that is when school lets out. We've actually missed the end of school several times when it has been expanded out to make up for snow days in the Winter/other weather related issues. Sometimes the rain is a blessing. Theme park days in the rain rock because it cuts the lines down enormously. I've done Tokyo Disney and Universal Osaka in the rain and would happily do both in the rain again. Sightseeing Kyoto in the rain isn't even that bad and my daughter and I now have real raincoats. Hakone in the mist and rain is really pretty, you won't see Mt. Fuji, but I've never seen Mt. Fuji from there. Where the rain really caused a problem is Kamikochi. Walking around a city in the rain is fun, because there are lots of cafes and cute places to stop. Hiking around in a National Park in the pouring rain is just miserable. I would say if going in the Summer have some flexibility in plans on actual nature days or a higher tolerance than I have for hiking in the rain. I should have cancelled my Kamikochi night and just spent the day and gone back to Matsumoto.

We did see lotus in Mimurotoji as well, but we're still team hydrangea.

Outside of airfare, (which is high because all the expats leave to go back to Japan as soon as school finishes as well.) I do find hotels cheaper in June and early July. The Japanese don't tend to travel then and a lot of foreigners don't want to go because of heat, humidity , and rain.

I personally deal better with heat and humidity more than some. You'd be surprised how bad New York gets in the Summer and many people don't have central air. I also went to Disney in August and spent a year in Houston Texas. But I prefer June over July and August because I don't want to run into Japanese school vacation time since it will up the price of accommodations. I admit, now that I live on the West coast of the US I'm hoping to add a 2nd trip to Japan a year and go either December, February, or for Spring Break depending on how school vacations work out.

by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/23 13:19
You can easily go to the mountains like the Japan Alps, or up north to the Tohoku Region or Hokkaido.
It was not hot there at all in the summer (in fact I found it almost chilly a few evenings in Aomori), and there is loads of natural beauty.
For me, seeing Geibikei in Iwate was a highlight of my trip up there.
https://youtu.be/NNsGoa4wWOo

Summers in Japan can be really brutal, but if you are flexible, you can get around them and still see a new beautiful side to Japan in comfort.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/23 20:50
A cold beer on a warm Japanese summer night while watching fireworks, preferably while wearing a yukata, is, to me, one of the absolute greatest pleasures in life.
by . . . . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/23 23:46
I was in Japan two years ago during Fall season. The weather was great most of the times (had to wear warm jackets sometimes, especially in Mt. Koya). But, I want to experience all seasons in Japan one day.

I've heard that summers in Japan are too hot and humid. I live in the southern most part of Europe, where it gets really hot in the summer. I traveled once to Italy and Greece, and I survived. Especially Greece (I went to Athens June 2019 and it was around 36ºC/96.8F), it was very hottt (no clouds, no wind, just burning sun), I did okay since I'm used to southern Europe temperatures, but...it was dry, not humid. So I don't know what are humid summers (I do know humid winters and I can say that it's awful).

Japanese Festivals have always been on my radars. But I will leave them to post-Covid times. In fact, my first experience to Japan during summer will be when I go to Hokkaido. I'm not sure if the OP wants to see attractions, cities, or just nature, landscape, outdoor activities. I've been planning two trips to Japan for 2022, one for Chubu in May and one for Hokkaido in July (I will have to decide which one I will choose since its too expensive for me to go to Japan twice in the same year), and I must say that Hokkaido in summer is gorgeous for those who want outdoor activities (cycling, hike, lots of flower fields).

What about Okinawa? Nobody really talks about the Ryukyu Islands. They're a bit underrated as far as I can see. But the Ryukyu Islands offer plenty of outdoor activities especially snorkling, scuba-diving. Okinawa is on my top5 list of places I wanna visit in Japan.
by Sophia (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/24 06:27
Summer Festivals.
To me, the festivals are the only reason to travel to Japan in summer.
The big ones are listed here: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2063.html.
But there are lots of smaller local festivals.
The big ones are very popular and may require advanced bookings (1 year or more).
by Kamahen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/24 12:46
What about Okinawa?

Okinawa is one of my favorite places in the world! But the question was about summer, and you don't bother to choose summer to have fun in Okinawa! It can be too hot and crowded. Okinawa is the go-to place when you can't swim in any other beach in Japan. If you go there in March or November, you can take off your coat at the airport and enjoy swimming as well as extensive walking!

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/24 23:36
@Uco, Okinawa sounds like an awesome region to visit! Is it chill, kinda Hawaii-style? I think the biggest problem with Okinawa is the distance (one have to transfer at airpots in Mainland Japan, and unlike other regions, airplane tickets to Okinawa must be a bit more expensive).

I surely want to visit Okinawa, but not at the moment. I think when I really decide to book things, I will stay there for about 1 month or so, just to enjoy the healthy food, warm weather without any rush (it looks like a very peaceful place, of course, outside high season).

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/25 00:48
Is it chill, kinda Hawaii-style?

Well, that depends on your definition of "Hawaii" and what other tropical islands you're comparing with.

Okinawa is great because history, culture and nature are all there. It is one of the most popular destinations for Japanese senior high school trips, because you can both learn and have fun.

The sea is not exactly for surfers, but most of its beaches are extremely calm, and where swimming is prohibited, there would be glass-bottom boats that take you into the tricky current for great views of corals.

Once you are in Japan, flying to Okinawa almost feels like riding a bus - very easy. In any case, you will be fascinated just studying about Okinawa.

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/25 01:38
I've heard that summers in Japan are too hot and humid. I live in the southern most part of Europe, where it gets really hot in the summer. I traveled once to Italy and Greece, and I survived. Especially Greece (I went to Athens June 2019 and it was around 36ºC/96.8F), it was very hottt (no clouds, no wind, just burning sun), I did okay since I'm used to southern Europe temperatures, but...it was dry, not humid. So I don't know what are humid summers (I do know humid winters and I can say that it's awful).

Think Southern Europe temperatures (often hotter) but you're breathing with a very hot, wet towel covering your nose and mouth. An acquired taste for sure, but I like it. I spend the summer in Japan every year (obviously not 2020 or '21 though). The hot part, not Hokkaido or even Tohoku, I usually spend most of my time in the Kanto area. I do enjoy festivals, fireworks, hanging out in the city, etc. but my absolute favourite thing to do is to stock up on water and head out into the mountains/forests/rivers solo. You don't even have to ride an hour out of the city to reach places completely devoid of foreign tourists where you can enjoy a completely different Japan from what most Tokyo visitors are used to. Fresh air, wildlife, agriculture, good local food that is cheap.

Okinawa is nice but you need a car for it to feel even remotely "chill" in my opinion.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/25 03:16
@Uco I've never seen corals in my life (just in pictures/videos). I bet it must be that unique experience one gets in life. Despite living close to the sea, where going to the beach is the norm in summer, I never did snorkeling or scuba diving (I thought in doing snorkeling in Malta, Gozo Island, but Covid ruined my plans). But I do enjoy swimming a lot (my friends prefer sunbathing...). I bet that Okinawa will be that awesome place which will make me do lots of sea activities ;)

@LIZ Hmm, havina a "hot, wet towel on the face" doesn't sound appealing...But, since I've never experienced it before, it shall be interesting to try it out xD Actually, is just central Japan who gets hot and humid during the summer? I read that Hokkaido has dry summers (perhaps, even Tohoku too). What about Kyushu? Maybe hotter and less humid? Or the same as in Kanto?

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/25 06:23
Western Japan and Kyushu have awesome beaches. Do dont have to spend big money or tume to acess awesome Japanese beaches.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/25 06:27
Kyushu is closer to the equator. So hotter and higher humity.
by Hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Favourite things to do in the summer 2021/2/25 06:29
Humidity and temp increase the closer to get to the equator...
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread