Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I learn to be a vet then live in Japan 2021/2/25 04:24
My dream job is to work with animals and live in Japan.
Is it best to go to college in Japan to learn to be a vet and learn Japanese or can I learn it here in the US then go to Japan?
by Juhnessa (guest)  

Re: Can I learn to be a vet then live in Japan 2021/2/25 15:44
If you want to be a vet in Japan, youfd need pass the national license examination for a vet in Japan.

For a local to become a vet in Japan, one would need to go study at a veterinary college/dept. in a university, specifically one of the 16 colleges/universities in Japan. (Then you need to pass the national license exam as a vet, in Japanese.)
That university education takes 6 years. To be accepted into a university in general, youfd need to take an entrance examination in Japanese, for which probably at least 2 years of studies just for the language in a language school, and at the same time youfd need to pass the exam into college, which is competitive among the locals too.

If you go to a veterinary college and get a license another country, and then you want to practice in Japan, youfd need to first submit the details of the curriculum of the vet education youfve received, along with papers certifying to your proficiency in the Japanese language, and MAFF (Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries will decide if you will be allowed to take the national vet license exam, which again will be in Japanese.

Either way it is not easy. I donft know how young/old you are, what you are doing right now, what is your language learning aptitude is, etc., so I cannot say what is better (or possible).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can I learn to be a vet then live in Japan 2021/2/26 07:09
This topic pops up periodically in the forums - you can do a search for previous answers.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread