Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/10 08:39
My girlfriend (Japanese) and I (Indian) met at University in the USA. I'm currently on a student visa in the US. We want to get married and live in Japan.

I would have liked to visit and go through the spouse visa process in Japan but it seems impossible with all the travel restrictions. Is it possible for me to get married and get a spouse visa without going to Japan?
by dxja  

Re: Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/10 10:50
I do not know the process for Indian nationals getting married in another country, but if you find out about the process, it should be possible for the two of you to get married in the USA according to the US law, report that marriage to the Japanese authorities after-the-fact (through either she returning to Japan and reporting to the local city hall or through the Embassy/Consulate of Japan in the USA), and applying for a visa.

Please note that gvisah is used for entering Japan, and the word gresident statush is used once you are IN Japan. (So the process you say youfd have preferred would be changing your resident status from gTemporary Visitorh to gSpouse of Japanese Nationalh if you once enter Japan and apply for the one that allows you to live in Japan as the spouse.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/11 11:56
Its not possible to get the spouse visa without being in Japan. YOu want to live out of Japan and have the status of Spouse visa which is difficult. AK san gave you general info but let me add some more information. I saw marriage of many Indians. Either of you must have a income in Japan to prove that you can survive in Japan. Spouse visa is very tough now a days. Immigration treat 95% marriage visa as a Fake. COVID restrictions are also tight now. Why you want to come in such situation.
by Guest C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/11 13:38
Is it possible for me to get married and get a spouse visa without going to Japan?
Yes and maybe if satisfy the application requirements.

Its not possible to get the spouse visa without being in Japan.
False.

Please re-read what AK mention in previous post about the differences between visa and resident status.

General SOP, you apply for visa at Japanese embassy, with supporting document and COE(which need to be apply in Japan by your Japanese sponsor/spouse).

Your first hurdle is where/how do you plan to get married? This will determine which next route/step your spouse visa application.
Again depending on your resident status in US, your application maynot be accepted, check with Japanese embassy there. Else you have to do it in India.

Read this, visa application requirement for Indian national.
https://www.vfsglobal.com/japan/india/delhi/long-term-stay-certificati...

Ask your girlfriend to read this..
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/ZAIRYU_NINTEI/zairyu_nintei1.h...

by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/11 14:31
Its not possible to get the spouse visa without being in Japan.
False.
It mean you want to live outside Japan and hold the spouse visa. I never heard it. You can live in other country after holding the spouse visa. Only doing marriage is not enough to get the spouse visa.

Re: Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/11 14:39
Please read one of the example of the students who married in Hawai and want the spouse visa. See what immigration asked them. Immigration asked them tax papers.
https://dsg.or.jp/column/marriage/544/

Re: Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/11 16:19
Guest C,

I think you misunderstood the situation. The original poster (OP) wants to obtain a visa to ENTER Japan as gspouse of Japanese national,h which is well possible. After the OP obtains the visa, the couple intends to move to Japan and start living there from day 1 after they arrive in Japan.

The OP wants to live in Japan, but for that he wants to obtain the visa first, while remaining outside Japan.

Some people come to Japan on gtemporary visitorh visa, then apply for a change from gtemporary visitorh status to gspouse of Japanese nationalh resident status. Currently this path is not possible due to travel restrictions.

If the couple has not been living in Japan, it is impossible for them to submit tax papers certifying to their income. In that case, if they apply from outside Japan, many people submit papers such as bank statement (savings), provide financial guarantor (like the parent(s) of the Japanese national), show their career & earnings from their earlier work outside Japan, etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is a spouse visa possible this way? 2021/3/12 08:03
http://www.moj.go.jp/ONLINE/IMMIGRATION/ZAIRYU_NINTEI/zairyu_nintei1.h...
as previously link on my comments, the items no. 5 on the list is what AK last post..
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread