Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job options on a spouse visa 2021/3/13 19:39
Hi everyone,
Would love to hear your experiences with transitioning from a working visa to a spouse visa especially in regards to how this influenced your work options.
About me, I am currently working for a japanese company which can certainly count as a typical gBlack Kigyoug. My Japanese level is N2 and I do have a bachelors degree.
I am so very very greatful to have found my soulmate here in Japan and we will get married soon. As a nice side effect I will be eligible to apply for a spouse visa and am in the hope of being able to close this dark chapter once and for all and move on with my life, preferably to a happier place that treats its employees in an uplifting manner.
Does anyone have experience with the job search after you obtained your spouse visa? What industry are you currently working in? Do you have any recommendations when looking for a job on a spouse visa?
Would love to hear all our stories (not exclusively but espescially from all married women out there)
by Japansoontobewife (guest)  

Re: Job options on a spouse visa 2021/3/14 07:49
Spouse visa had very little limitations. You can do almost anything compared to a work visa.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job options on a spouse visa 2021/3/14 09:30
"eligible to apply for a spouse visa "
you should be applying for change of status, not visa.
Visa ( things that you need to enter Japan), resident status (given based on your visa once you enter Japan). Becareful with those term when dealing with immigration since application procedure is totally different.

With resident status Spouse of Japanese national(your soon to be spouse is Japanese?),
it is basically a free for all card.
You can apply/choose any type of jobs that you fancy without any restriction.
So start looking for better job opportunity if your current place is gBlack Kigyoug.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job options on a spouse visa 2021/3/14 13:45
I agree with the poster above that what you will be applying for is gchange of resident statush from employer-sponsored work status to gspouse of Japanese nationalh status.

gVisah is for entering Japan, and once you are in Japan, you hold a gresident status.h

So when you go to the immigration office to make an application, please say that you are applying for a gchange of resident status,h not a gvisa.h When they hear that word visa, they will start telling you things like oh if you want a visa you need to apply from outside Japan, or that it is not possible, or something like that...

And about finding work: as the employer would not have to sponsor you for a work-permitting resident status, that will be less of a hassle for the employer; also you will be able to apply for practically any type of work as long as you meet their hiring requirements/qualifications. But please be sure to wait till you actually have the new resident status granted to begin working at a new place. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Job options on a spouse visa 2021/3/15 06:34
A reason people use the term "visa" is that is what shows on the Ministry website when it talks about the different resident status options.
https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Job options on a spouse visa 2021/3/15 10:20
Yes, I know about the Ministryfs website.

I just wanted to raise awareness about the distinction – if you are in Japan and go and say you want to change to another type of gvisa,h they (well knowing what you mean) tell you itfs impossible because you are in Japan, which can confuse people!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Job options on a spouse visa 2021/3/16 10:21
@JapanCustomTours

The page (Ministry of Foreign Affair) you link only mentioned about visas for entry to Japan, nothing about resident status. Thus can be confusing to those first timer.

As mentioned we just want to point out the differences between visa and resident status.
And precaution when dealing with immigration office when either applying for visa(coe) or change of status.

Not all officer at the immigration counter will explain or remind applicant of their application intention, thus using the wrong term will just led the applicant into wrong procedure.

Just sharing experience and reminder.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread