Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/15 07:46
I'm planning to do 1-1.5 years of language school in Japan, and then university. I would be going for a CS degree, with the goal of entering the gaming industry. Is this basically impossible? Most Japanese start university at 18-20. Would being hired be difficult? I'd have Japanese fluency,a CS degree and some art skills at graduation. I wouldn't have to start at a gaming industry job, but that's the goal. I also know changing jobs/companies is heavily frowned upon in Japan.
by SpiritedAway96  

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/15 09:55
I wonder if it makes sense to study computer science in Japan – I have a feeling you could study that in your country, build up some experiences, then if an opportunity arises, to find work in Japan with that experience.
Nowadays switching jobs is not really frowned upon, but starting late in an industry that is very labor intensive – I mean you will be thirty-something by the time you complete your studies – might not be to your advantage here. Youfd have to have some competitive advantage over local students, who have also finished university studies at ages about 10 years younger than you, to be hired (over them, that is).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/15 10:43
That would mean moving to Japan at 35-40. I'd rather not waste my life in the US.
by SpiritedAway96 rate this post as useful

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/15 13:04
You already have a CS degree, but you want to get another CS degree in Japan. I'm asking this in 100% good faith: how do you expect this to help your career?

Dev jobs in Japan (not specifically game dev, which I don't know too much about) aren't too hard to land for foreigners, but spending all that time, effort, and money on something which is not even guaranteed to happen sounds like setting yourself up for disappointment. Getting hired as a foreigner can be difficult, and if you're on the older side then it's not going to help unless you are super skilled and experienced. There are positions which often get filled by foreigners and are sometimes specifically aimed at foreigners. They even exist at the bigger tech companies. Web and software dev, networking, etc. So if you're already fluent in Japanese to the point where you would be comfortable going to Japanese university and have a CS degree then why not just look for a job? Even if it's not the one you want it would be a foot in the door in Japan, and I would venture to guess that it would be much more likely to lead to you finding a gaming industry job in the future than spending years on language school (for a language you already have command over) and university (for a degree you already have?!).
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/15 13:37
Oh. From the way the OP phrased it (gI'd have Japanese fluencyc at graduationh) I took it that he didnft have a degree yet, but hoping to get it in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/15 14:25
I don't have a degree. I want to get a CS degree in Japan.
by SpiritedAway96 rate this post as useful

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/15 18:39
Hello, I cannot give you any advice on studying in Japan, but as for job hunting, I suggest aiming directly for the gaming industry after graduating, if that is where you want to work. Switching from a bank or web company to making video games will be difficult, as they do not require the same skills and languages. It would be like being a professional switching from NBA to volleyball.
by ML (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/16 07:13
1-1.5 years of language school in Japan, and . . . . I'd have Japanese fluency
Or maybe not. Some people study for years and only have basic skills.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Starting an undergraduate degree at 27 2021/3/16 09:32
Do you have a degree in anything or do you have enough money to cover your living expenses while you are learning Japanese? You will then need to get a part time job to cover your expenses and tuition while in University. You are unlikely to be able to get a loan or financial aid and while University, I'm given to understand it is very hard to get a loan in Japan without PR.
by rkold rate this post as useful

reply to this thread