Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taxes on money received from overseas 2021/3/16 23:32
My question is regarding receiving money from overseas.
Ifm a permanent resident holder .My brother has been sending me money for help as Ifm having some money troubles and Ifm wondering if therefs a limit of amount you can receive from abroad for it to be taxable.
Ifm worried about taxes obviously and wondering if how much is okay or do I have to declare everything to the tax office.
by Catherine (guest)  

Re: Taxes on money received from overseas 2021/3/17 05:22
If you receive more than 1.1 million yen in a calendar year, then the gift tax applies:
https://taxsummaries.pwc.com/japan/individual/other-taxes
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes on money received from overseas 2021/3/17 08:36
Thank you!

So it means that if itfs below 1.1 million I donft have to do anything like declaring it to the tax office right?
by Catherine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes on money received from overseas 2021/3/17 11:47
Depending on how long youfve been a resident in Japan, you might have to declare all income (regardless of source) for income tax filing. I donft know if this applies to money received as gift.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes on money received from overseas 2021/3/17 13:30
So it means that if itfs below 1.1 million I donft have to do anything like declaring it to the tax office right?

That's right. Note that the 1.1 million yen limit refers to the total of all gifts that you receive during an entire year.

Note also that gifts are not considered income.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Taxes on money received from overseas 2021/3/17 14:26
Thanks for correcting me Uji
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread