Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mailed tax documents (bills) 2021/4/15 10:04
Hello,
I am trying to renew my Resident status this year. My lawyer said aside from minor conditions that I must have good standing in taxes at time of renewal.
While I have been on top of this for the most part I havent recieved any bills in the mail for a couple months except for kokumin nenkin.

Where in city hall do I check everything I owe? I would like to go there if its possible for both income and municipal tax. Thanks.
by Asker (guest)  

Re: Mailed Tax documents(bills) 2021/4/15 20:54
your question is so general. it depends on case by case.
i.e. not all tax documents come by mail. sometimes, it is under calculation.
since you already consult a lawyer, you can get more detailed information, which fits to your case, from him/her.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Tax documents(bills) 2021/4/16 07:45
Your lawyer should be telling you what get get for the submission. Mine sends me a simple list each year and for taxes lists two items. For last year it was simply:
a) Certificate of Resident Tax Taxation for Tax Year Reiwa 2
(令和2年度の住民税の課税証明書 1通)
b) Certificate of Resident Tax Payment for Tax Year Reiwa 2
(令和2年度の住民税の納税証明書 1通)
I head to my local office, fill out the request form and they produce it in a few minutes.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed tax documents (bills) 2021/4/16 12:05
City halls/tax offices have certain cycle for processing income tax filing then determining the resident taxes & health insurance based off of income last year, so you wouldn’t be getting anything for a few months. So that is fine.

And I agree with JapanCustomTours that the lawyer should be giving you exactly what documents you need – maybe he just wanted to check with the OP “have you been paying taxes ok?” and would give you the name of the document later.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed tax documents (bills) 2021/4/17 07:18
City halls/tax offices have certain cycle for processing income tax filing
I agree with that, but in each case when I have needed to get documents it was simply the most recent available year.
Possibly the timing of my renewals helps that it is a couple of months after the close of the financial year and usually I get this stuff together in August/September as I also need to provide company financial statements. But even if I was doing a renewal (say) now, I would not expect any problem with supplying documents for the 2019/2020 year, even though it is now ten months later.
Just as an additional comment, other than resident tax notices I don't get other tax documents mailed to be personally (like income tax or pension contributions). I do get those as business mail - bills to pay, and I do have a helpful accountant that looks after most of those issues for me.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed tax documents (bills) 2021/4/17 12:31
JapanCustomTours,

If your renewal application timing is July/August, right, you’d have no problem.
When one needs to apply like right now, the city hall/tax office is in the midst of finalizing the income tax filing (for the income earned during 2020) then based on the taxable income they will determine the resident’s taxes to be paid in June 2021 - March 2022 or so based on the income earned in 2020, so if one asks for the most recent “tax charged” statement available, that might end up being the one based on the income earned in 2019. And for “tax paid,” of course it will only be the one paid so far.

And individuals do get those in the postal mail, unless they’ve switched to “direct debit” from the bank account.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread