Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Disposing of large furniture 2021/4/21 14:31
Im moving out of Japan next month permanentley. Im trying to figure out how to get rid of some large furniture I have(desk, fridge, futon, bookshelf, etc;) Can sodai gomi slips still be purchased at convenience stores? Or do I have to look for disposal service?
by Asker (guest)  

Re: Disposing of large furniture 2021/4/21 16:59
"Sodai gomi" tickets can be bought at convenience stores, yes, but you need to call your local city hall's disposal section to arrange for the pick-up day. Or, is there any furniture/appliance recycling shop near you? Disposal companies who come around to collect unwanted furniture sometimes charge you quite a bit (though you can get rid of things in one go).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Disposing of large furniture 2021/4/21 17:05
You should call the city asap. Due to the coronavirus, it's now a very slow process.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Disposing of large furniture 2021/4/21 17:25
As mentioned, you should contact or look into the official website of your city hall now to see what your options are.

For example, here in our city of Yokohama, we need to make a reservation first if we want to put sodai-gomi (bulk waste) out. Even before the pandemic, it always took a while until they were able to come to pick items up, so we needed to book ASAP in order to be there to put our furniture out ourselves on the day of pick up. Note that sodai gomi slips can be purchased only by cash, and the cost of the slips vary depending on what your item is.

Here in Yokohama, we are also encouraged to avoid using private disposal service, because many of them often dump the items somewhere illegally.

Your municipal might have some sort of a recycling system. If not, you are free to contact a "recycle shop" to have them come to see what you have. Or you can try selling them at Mercari or something. The advantage of being a foreign resident is that you tend to belong to a community of foreign residents who may be expecting newcomers wanting to buy used furniture.

I hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Disposing of large furniture 2021/4/21 18:37
Wow thanks for quick reply.

i am a little worried because my building has no elevator and im past 3rd floor, so the fridge i bought will be a problem, was from nitori(i think they have recycle service).

i refrained from buying furniture knowing someday this might happen, but i had no experience of this. ill contact city hall soon, thanks
by asker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Disposing of large furniture 2021/4/21 21:39
Getting rid of refrigerators and other large electric appliances is a little tricky, but you can contact the shop you bought the item from to see if they could come and pick it up. You may have to pay a few thousand yen just to get rid of it, and the fee typically includes the disinstallation and pick-up fee.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread