Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Student visa driver's license 2021/4/23 20:46
Hello, I'm a student at senmon gakko. Been staying in Japan for more than a year. Is it okay for a student visa holder to convert my country's license into Japanese driver's license? I've been driving in my country for years before I got in Japan. I heard driving school here is expensive and the cheapest way is converting your country's driver's license. I can't find answers on Google regarding my question so i figured maybe i can ask here. Thank you for taking time to read this. :-)
by Kiko (guest)  

Re: Student visa driver's license 2021/4/24 06:10
Is it okay for a student visa holder to convert my country's license into Japanese driver's license?

Yes, that is possible assuming that your country is Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan or the United Kingdom (or the US states of Hawaii, Maryland, Virginia or Washington).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa driver's license 2021/4/24 06:59
It is not a conversion per se, but for the list of countries given above, it allows for a Japanese license to be issued on the basis that you already have a license in the other country (and have held it and lived in that country for at least three months). After the process you will have two driving licenses.
Takes 1/2 to most of one day, but not particularly difficult (although I had a Japanese friend help me with the process in case there was something tricky).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa driver's license 2021/4/24 07:31
Be warned that proofing that you lived in that country for at least three months can be challenging in an an age when many countries do not stamp passports anymore.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Student visa driver's license 2021/4/25 06:56
@Uji - yes, you are so correct. My current passport has a couple of stamps from Japan, but nothing from anywhere else (but not much travel the last three years). All the border control stuff is stored electronically and automatically, and with self processing, there is no need for stamps.
My previous one had a ton of stamps, but none for my home country. Fortunately (for some reason) I had an even older passport with me here in Japan so I could prove an exit from my home country more than three months after getting my drivers license (which I got when I was 15, an awful long time ago now.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread