Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Minimal Japanese comprehension level 2021/4/30 17:45
Hi,
I heard from somebody who wants to immigrate to Japan (work and live) that a minimal knowledge is required of the Japanese language to get a permit. Is this so?
by Butchijo  

Re: Minimal Japanese comprehension level 2021/4/30 18:37
What gpermith do you mean?

If you want to work and live in Japan, many jobs would require working level knowledge of the Japanese language. I do know some people who work and live here as gexpats,h so working in a branch of a non-Japanese company for example (back office so no interaction with the local customers), or English language teachers, who are not required to be proficient in the local language, though. They might just stay for the duration of their visa for some years and then return home.
But outside their work, it would come in extremely handy to know the local language, as Ifm sure you can imagine.

When you say gimmigrate,h if you mean permanently moving over, that takes many years on work visas, (or somewhat less number of years if not based on employment but family relationship), and I would expect that many people would have learned some language during those years. It is not that you take an gimmigration permith test and then youfre allowed to live here for good.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Minimal Japanese comprehension level 2021/4/30 19:11
Thanks AK for your fast response.
by Butchijo rate this post as useful

Re: Minimal Japanese comprehension level 2021/4/30 21:47
By permit I assume you mean a visa (to enter the country) and residency status that allows you to stay for some extended period of time. What you heard is almost correct. In fact, zero Japanese language ability is required. Of course, some employers won't hire you if you can't speak Japanese, some schools and colleges won't accept you, but many people do legally move to Japan for work and study without even being able to introduce themselves in Japanese. Whether or not this is actually advisable depends on the kind of life one expects in Japan.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Minimal Japanese comprehension level 2021/5/1 07:39
There are some newer categories under the internship programme that require some proficiency
But until those were introduced, zero Japanese is required for all the other visa categories. The "heard from somebody" is generally false/not true.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread