Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Replying to hiking group again 2021/6/16 23:34
Hi
When I went to Japan 2019 hiking I met a group of people travelling together and ended up in a groupphoto with the group. I shared my address and then we parted. A few months later I recieved a letter from the photographer in the group including copies of the group photo and some other photos he took.

A text written in Japanese I think said I should reply which I did a few weeks later attaching a few photos from another hike, unfortunately not on photopaper.

I did not recieve any more replies after that however.

Then the pandemic hit and just recently I was looking through my past travel documents remembering this group.

I keep thinking I might have done something inappropriate since I received no further replies, as I am not fully aware of the Japanese system. Should I try to write back again or just let it be? Maybe it has been too long time passed making in inappropriate to write again?
by Prace (guest)  

Re: Replying to hiking group again 2021/6/17 12:08
I don’t think you’ve done anything inappropriate – maybe they were just satisfied that you could exchange some photos, but didn’t find anything more to continue correspondence with you about. Of course, hiking is your common interest, but there is only so much you can say about places you don’t know (and I don’t know how comfortable they are with English). Maybe they just got busy. Who knows.

I mean, you could just let it go. You “could” send another letter with a few hiking photos if you have any, and ask how they are doing, send best wishes in these difficult times? I am sure they’d enjoy it, remembering the fun times when they could travel (and you could travel).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Replying to hiking group again 2021/6/17 12:35
It seems to be a question related to custom. If it is ok to continue this tread and I can answer, I would say that one of the possibilities is that he/she didn't receive them if it was CDR enclosed in a snail mail
(missing of postal item) If it was a file attached on email, it was deleted automatically by an anti malware software so he/she didn't receive the mail as well.

According to my experience, both method are not so popular among Japanese people, not only FB, IG like stuff. However, I don't think he/she take it as though you have done something bad/offensive even if you send the photos in those method, Japanese people even say thank you.

I have seen a similar thread on jcinfo.net, too. I think it helps you also if you understand Japanese. The tytle and question of the thread are written in Chinese ゙認識後之的人゙but answers are mostly in Japanese.
by kiki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Replying to hiking group again 2021/6/17 16:48
Hi,
I remember replying in Japanese, not sure how well written it was though, sent by regular post. I guess I might as well let it be as it has been so many years passed.
by Prace (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread