Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

disabled traveller 2021/6/19 03:43
i am disabled, i use a cane and need to sit and rest frequently.

i want to visit tokyo, yokohama, tdr, museums nd maybe other places for day trips
are there any concessions for disabled people?

for example:
disneyland in california offers a different entry line for disabled guests
discounted train tickets
caregiver enters for free

what sort of proof would i need?
i am new to the disability thing
i don’t think canada offers any certification of disability aside from a pension income approval letter.

i really want to do one last japan trip
i have been many times
my heart breaks when i think of never visiting again

thank you for any information 🖤

by orangecat3  

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/19 11:03
The Accessible Japan website might get you started on your research.
https://www.accessible-japan.com/

I hope you have fun in Japan!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/19 13:05
Here is the webpage on TDR for people with disabilities.
https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/tdr/bfree.html

I'm pretty sure, they don't offer anyone free admission, but if you've not been yet, just ordinary ticket prices to TDR are considerably cheaper than the equivalent ticket in the US. I literally just looked at purchasing two tickets for me and my 10 year old for Disneyland CA for her birthday in October. It's going to cost me ~284 for the two of us for 1 day no park hopping, even on a cheaper day it's still like ~240. At Tokyo Disney it is 13,900 for us on the most expensive days. Adult tickets range from 8200-8900 yen. They use to have a discounted disability ticket but it is not currently being offered, just like senior tickets.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/24 04:49
In Canada, Easter Seals Canada issues a Disability Travel Card. Having it with you may help? Also carrying a provincial disabled parking placard may also be of assistance (in Ontario, it shows your name and address and a big wheelchair symbol).

https://easterseals.ca/english/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Disability-T...

Good luck with your trip.
by Sue (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/24 09:03
something like discounted train tickets - no
caregiver enters for free - yes, some places. Based on what I know there is some sort of documentation provided to Japanese caregivers/support people, but as you are from Canada, I do not believe you would qualify. (I knew someone that worked in that area, but haven't seen them for ages to ask.)
The Accessible Japan website should have some more information.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/24 10:22
It would be good if the Canadian card mentioned above could be "international " and be accepted in Japanese facilities but often "international" documents/ID are not internationally accepted. For example, French ID is international because the government says so and it could be used at check in at the hostel in Korea, Taiwan and Madagascar but it was could not be used in Japan, NZ, and Australia.
by Yohan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/24 13:08
Very rarely do age or disability discounts be applied unless in europe or the countries share borders. As the local governments normally pay the difference.

If you expect nothing but can still ask. Whatever discount is a bonus when travelling internationally.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/25 09:25
I think it's worth sending opinions to authorities, politicians and the media. Before the pandemic broke, Japan had been focusing on inbound tourism in order to develop the economy. If the pandemic settles enough to welcome foreign tourists again, it would be a bonus to welcome international disability IDs the same way Japan welcomes its "shougaisha-techo" which is an ID that allows train discounts for disabled persons owning ID in Japan. Things don't change overnight, but they do change.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/equipment/waribiki/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/25 12:42
Provincial parking placard is neither Japanese nor international, so I think even transportation and touristic companies which are willing to
offer discount don't (cannot) accept it, as well as my student ID in my native language, which was issued by my school in my country is not accepted in Canada. I have heard that prefecture office issue this kind of stuff in Japan but I am not sure if a tourist (non-resident) can apply it. I think applying something international and ask each place if it is accepted or not is practical.
by Yohan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/25 14:14
what I have heard is that it is getting difficult to get 障がい者手帳.

"i use a cane and need to sit and rest frequently."
in that level, you may not be qualified as 障がい者 in Japan.

in Japan 障がい seems to be higher disability state.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/25 15:32
To be honest, it is same in my country, not officially disable. But I feel Japan's companies offer help for any people who need help and have difficulties, trying to make effort to install equipments suck as lifts, lending hands as much as possible in comparison with my country and some other countries. It is another way of welcoming, you won't be disappointed even without discount service. Please enjoy yourself.
by Asiansenior (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/30 04:30
I'm fairly sure the skytree has a reduced price for people with disabilities.
by bluejeans rate this post as useful

Re: disabled traveller 2021/6/30 14:17
Skytree' website says slightly different in English and Japanese, Japanese page says that discount is based on shogaisya techo while English page says 'disability ID card or other ID'. Since you only have proof of pension, if you go there, I think you had better ask whether or not that suggested Canadian card can be used as an ID and get one if it was fine before travelling. If ticket booth staff insist on a shogaisya techno inspire of enquiry in advance (sometimes people especially new faces make mistakes especially), you can show English page and reply from them for your enquiry.
by HaigusyaL (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread