Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/23 02:09
2 Day pass :8880 yen,child=2600 yen
A)Can you tell which 13 rail company permitted to travel beside JR east?
Tokyo to sendai/yamagata 1 way=5940yen
B)Do you think this pass is worth to buy?
by Porimoni (guest)  

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/23 10:52
Thatfs totally up to where you want to go and how fast. Note that this pass allows you to ride the glocalh trains, but you have to pay separate for Limited Express trains, including Shinkansen trains.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/23 18:57
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/24 08:59
From the JR website the companies and lines are:
JR Line, Yamagata Railway Line, Abukuma Express Line, Fukushima Kotsu Line, Aizu Railway Line (between Nishi-Wakamatsu and Aizu Tajima), Hokuetsu Express Line, Echigo Tokimeki Railway (between Myoko Kogen and Naoetsu) ), All Ueda Electric Railway Lines, All Shinano Railway Lines, All Nagano Electric Railway Lines, All Alpico Kotsu Lines (Matsumoto Electric Railway Lines), All Hitachinaka Kaihin Railway Lines, All Kashima Seaside Railway Lines, All Fujikyu Lines, All Izukyu Lines This is a ticket that allows you to get on and off the non-reserved seats of ordinary trains (including rapid trains).

BUT
Travelling on conventional trains for something like Tokyo to Sendai, DON'T. Sure you can save a little money (it is about 6,000 yen on conventional trains vs 11k on the shinkansen, but I know from experience (I tried it once) the time taken (takes around seven hours) is a truly painful experience versus the 90 minutes and comfort of the Hayabusa service. If you value your time, then the money savings do not outweigh the time cost.
Plus, you can get half-price shinkansen tickets (on sale now, limited availability) so you can do a Sendai trip for 11k yen return (and I did that recently) and it was great value. I would not have wasted almost all of a weekend travelling on the "weekend pass"
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/24 16:41
Sir Thanks.your help is always appreciated. Do you think following prefecture is correct?
A)aizu tetsudou:From nishi wakamatsu to aizu tajima=42 km, connect with JR East tadami Line in Fukushima prefecture

B)Echigo tokimeki tetsudou:From myoko kogen to naoetsu=38 km connect with JR east shinetsu line in niigata prefecture
by Porimoni (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/25 08:08
A)Aizu Tajima station does not connect to JREast Tadami Line, the connection is at Nishi-Wakamatsu.
JR East Tadami Line currently has a closed section (due to damage)

B)Naoetsu is a joint local/JREast station so you could transfer there.

As an observation, both of those private line routes are quite short so the JREast Weekend pass would be poor value for money. Local trains are priced pretty cheaply. NISHI-WAKAMATSU to AIZUTAJIMA is 1,500 yen for 42km, but the 225km Shinjuku-Matsumoto is just over 4,000 yen less than 20 yen/km.

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/26 15:24
Sir Thanks.I have one more question.

JR Tadami Line:higashinihon ryokaku tetsudou(JR east)says from JR koike station to aizu wakamatsu=135 km.from 30 july 2011 it suspend aizu kawaguchi to tadami station =28 km damaged by taiphoon.BRT bus rapid transit available.

Why i ask?Every year japan invest millions of yen to build new road,new highway /express road,to build new bus,new luxury bus.
But japan spend less in rail related project.Th ey suspend rail line due to damage,they suspend train such as asakaze train,hayabusa train,fuji train,hokuriku train,noto train,twilight express mizukaze train,cassiopeia train,hok uso train,mizuho,nihonkai night train.now exist only moonlight nagara,sunrise seto,sunrise izumo.

So do you think japan invest less in rail related project/infrastructure than road?

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/26 16:45
Customers dont use night trains as much as shinkansen trains get them their faster in daylight hours.

The new West Kyushu Shinkansen and Hokuriku Shinkansen extensions and the billions of yen poured into construction go against your theory that governments are not spending money on rail.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/26 17:13
Roads generally profit much more from government support than trains. Still, there are many major railway projects being carried out, mainly shinkansen-related. But government support is limited because most railway companies are private companies.

The sad trend is that unprofitable train lines are abandoned one after the other. Ironically, the Tadami Line is a rare example of a totally unprofitable, local railway line that is actually being restored as we speak.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/27 07:54
Some of the new roads you mention are private enterprise and the tolls are certainly not cheap. And, there are trillions of yen (billions of dollars) being poured into new rail lines. A significant factor is also that Japan has a declining population, so the development of national infrastructure is very different to many other countries.
A service like the Cassiopeia was popular (a down side being you could not book more than a month in advance), but the same rails are needed for other trains and there is a huge amount of freight moved around the country. Still, the Cassiopeia was expensive, slow and still would deliver a poor nights sleep. It and some of the other overnight trains were a relic of a past era.
Just on the "damage" aspect, from the 2019 October typhoons there was some very significant damage to rail lines around the country, some repairs required near a year before it was safe to use sections of line/bridges. It also takes resources to fix things, and those are not unlimited. Even the road bridge near my house suffered major structural damage and it was more than nine months before repaired.
These days, a few hours gets you many hundreds of km on the shinkansen and the local air travel alternatives also fill a niche as there are very low cost routes. Uneconomic or poorly uitilised services do not last - you cannot expect things to continue just for the sake of it.

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/6/29 19:32
Sir Thanks.uji sir is correct.
My japanese Tomodachi says:
JR west closed sanko Line=miyoshi station to gotsu station=108km

JR east closed kesennuma Line=yanaizu to kesennuma station=55 km
Jr east closed ofunato line=kesennuma station to sakari station=44 km

Jr hok closed sekisho line=16 km from shin yu
bari to yubari station
JR hok closed sassho line=hok iriyodaigaku station to Shin totsukawa station=48 km
Jr hokkaidou closed hidaka line =mukawa station to samani station=116 km

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/7/5 13:57
I am sorry to say my Favourite train is out of service or suspend its operation.whenever i buy 18 kippu (price=12050 yen,5 Day) i travel by moonlight nagara,moonlight echigo and

another JR hok related pass 7 Day=11330 yen
I always travel hamanasu Night train until 2016 from aomori to sapporo.

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/7/7 21:33
1)What is JR East Trip insurance?

2)How much yen i need for this insurance?
Do you think this is 300 yen+ rail pass price

3)JR east says they will give 1 million yen for death,severe injured by train accident.Is it co
rrect.we Dont want this benefit by our suicide

4)JR east says,if i have trip insurance
they will give 30000 yen if i infected covid during this trip .is it correct?

5)can foreign residents of japan buy JR east pass(2 products)until 31 march 2022

Re: Is a JR East weekend pass worth it? 2021/7/10 15:24
Uco san
Where are you?i need your help.
My Que is above written.

reply to this thread