Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/5 05:44
I have my Driver's Licence and International Driving Permit.
Tour Foreigner 70 years old, wants to driving in Japan
What should I got my health examine paper before coming to Japan when I will be 70/71.

by Daniel Chui (guest)  

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/19 15:02
If your domestic license is valid and you have an International Driving Permit, you should be good to drive.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/19 16:28
If you are fit mentally and physically then you can drive.
by Wheabion rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/19 17:36
According to the page below it depends very much on what type of international license your country can issue whether or not Japan accepts it.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html
(Scroll down to „international driving permitsg)
Please make sure you check beforehand!
by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/19 17:52
PS:
Iem from Germany and Ifm NOT allowed to drive with an international license issued by Germany, I had to have my German license translated and after 1 year apply for a Japanese license.
If youfre not sure if Japan accepts the international license issued in your country you should be able to get more information from your countryes embassy in Japan.
Just make sure you check, because you wouldnft want to get into trouble driving with a license thates not accepted or not being given a rental car due to the „wrongg international license.
Best wishes!
by MS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/20 07:29
@MS
Iem from Germany and Ifm NOT allowed to drive with an international license issued by Germany, I had to have my German license translated and after 1 year apply for a Japanese license.
While you have provided some good information, you are confusing different issues. Japan does not accept anyone driving in Japan on an international permit for more than one year. Someone visiting for a simple, short term visit from Germany does need to follow a different route to the countries covered by the 1949 convention, but would not have any particular difficulties.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/20 07:46
I've been driving in Japan four years ago, with IDL and my own licence.

by daniel332010 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/21 07:16
@daniel332010
I've been driving in Japan four years ago, with IDL and my own licence.
Going off topic, but if you have been driving in Japan for four years on an international driving permit, you have been driving illegally after the first year.

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/21 15:18
@Daniel Chui
I am over seventy and have rented cars in Japan many times during my many visits. The rental companies asked mainly for my passport, international driving license, and country driving license.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/22 03:21
This is what I want to know. Thanks a lot!
by daniel332010 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/23 14:07
@JapanCustomTours

"...if you have been driving in Japan for four years on an international driving permit, you have been driving illegally after the first year."

While you are definitely "technically correct", there are gray areas and loose enforcement. I've seen and heard of people that find loopholes. Also, car rental agencies can be very loose about their requirements.

1) For instance if they are on only a 1 year visa in Japan, leave for a little while, then get another 1 year visa. The issue then becomes if they were in Japan continuously for 4 years.

Many foreigners in Japan are issued multiple 1 year visas (as oppose to 3 or 5 year visas). Thus the issue of residency is very cloudy in those cases. Many Japanese institutions can refuse services and contracts to people where the visa is 1 year or less.

2) If they are a resident in Japan, but have spent more than 3 consecutive months overseas prior to reentry, then they can use their international driving permit for another year or to the expiration date.

This can become even cloudier, if the person has multiple passports and maintains addresses or an residences outside of Japan, where it is easier to appear to be outside of Japan for 3 months.

Related, but not really a loophole. In order to convert from a foreign license to a Japanese driver's license (depending on country), the person may need to have a valid foreign license for at least 2 years.

In order to drive in Japan earlier than the 2 year date, those foreigners that didn't have have their "foreign" license for more than 2 years, could go get an international drivers permit.

Lastly, it's not that off topic to talk about international driving permits, as it is another legal way for a persons over 70 to drive in Japan. Hopefully, such person would be healthy to do so.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/23 17:06

driving in Japan four years ago,
I think daniel332010 meant to say he was driving in Japan four years ago.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/24 09:12
The answer on 2021/7/21 15:18 is what I want to know, and Thanks to others comments. Furthermore, I am driving in Japan 5 days only, and why I posted this Question was I saw an advertisement indicated will not renting to a person over 65.

Re: Driving in Japan over 70 2021/7/24 11:06
Oh! Four years ago, I was driving in Japan 5 days only.

reply to this thread