Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/8/18 14:34
Hi!Some months ago I regirestered in a Japanese school and I am waiting for my Coe to turn it in a student visa. I should start my course in October but probably japanese travel restristions won't be released by then and I will need to wait until Jannuary when classes will be postponed.
My boyfriend is japanese and he's in Japan now. He's waiting for me. So we were considering proxy marriage in case I won't be able to go to Japan in October.
My question is: in case we get married, will be possible to receive a Coe to request a spouse visa?
I heard that usually coes have a 3 month last validity but with the pandemic they extended it to 6 months. I don't want to wait until january, that's why we would like to get married and meet as soon as possible in Japan.
Do you know whether immigration office cannot grant a new Coe for spouse visa while my student visa's coe is still valid?
Thank you.
Claudia
by Cloud2  

Re: 2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/8/18 17:40
As far as I know, generally speaking, this is, if immigration authorities see two CoE applications with the same person, this will be a red flag – they will take it as a sign that this person is trying to come to Japan under false reason. Like if a person files for 2 CoEs with 2 different schools, or 2 CoEs with 2 different employers, they it will be rejected, because obviously this person cannot fulfill both at the same time.
So following that logic, this gmighth be rejected too.

Please take note that gspouse of Japanese nationalh can take some time to process too – first you need to gather documents for you to get married, get married, then file for the CoE for gspouse of Japanese,h then get the gspouseh visa.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: 2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/8/18 18:11
Thank you for your fast answer! I think the cases you mentioned are slightly different from my situation. In my case I wouldnft apply to an other school to get an other student visa but I would request for a different visa, which is spouse visa. Thatfs why I was thinking that maybe immigration office wouldnft contest my application. But I am aware how much Japanese immigration rules are strict so it could be very risky anyway.
So now I will receive my Coe for the student visa which normally has a validity of 3 months. Because of pandemic it will extended to 6 months. So do you think I should wait for my coe to expire (in case I wonft be able to go to Japan) in order to apply for a spouse visa?
I know proxy marriage process takes time to get done so I am considering to start in October, in case I wonft be able to leave. But here comes out an other question: When I applied for the student visa they asked me about my marital status and I said I was single. In case I get married in the meanwhile but going to Japan with student visa could it affect the request of the student visa? In some weeks I will receive the Coe for student visa and the marriage would be done later. So maybe it wonft make any difference..? what do you think?
(I am aware that my situation is kinda tricky)
Thank you
by Cloud2 rate this post as useful

Re: 2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/8/18 21:40
I just got the COE of my husband he is a Spouse of Permanent Resident since I am a PR holder. I wasnft quick. It took 71 days of waiting since it said to be 30-90 days to get their screening done. But, the wait is WORTH IT.
Japan doesnft allow Student Visa to enter yet as to when? We donft know. The ONLY Visas that are allowed to enter Japan right now are SPOUSE/CHILD of a Japanese National as well as Permanent Resident and Long Term Visas. Category 3 Descendant and Dependents are NOT allowed yet , Students and working visas of course tourists too. Returning with status of Residents are of course allowed too.

Applying for a Spouse Visa after you get married requires a LOT of documents both from your Country and Japan taxation papers of your Husband etc. pictures, explanation letter and story telling. In my case, we submitted additional docs from our Banks both Japan and Foreign country even proof of properties if we have one. We provided everything and waited, after 71 days we got the COE. By the way we got married in 2019, we are Childhood friends before we rekindled in 2016. YES, love story of how you met to get you into marriage is VERY IMPORTANT in getting a SPOUSE VISA. With pictures as proof in every important events in your legitimacy of your relationship.

Question about 2 COEfs might collide? You can petition to cancel the Student COE in the Immigration. Why not?

Goodluck!
by KathLeen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/8/18 22:30
I think another important condition is "when" you got married.
OP is not married yet. she has applied a language school student visa, when she is single. although no answer is coming yet, now she wants to get married with a Japanese national to get a spouse visa.
I think it just simply means that she wants to enter Japan "by any means".
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/8/18 23:42
Of course I want to go to Japan by any means because my boyfriend is there and we haven't been metting for 6 months and it will be one year if I won't be able to enter in Japan on October if japanese borders will remain closed!
You also would try a way to reach your partner as soon as possible if you were in my situation.
First I registered to a Japanese school with a student visa because I'm studying Japanese and I've been already in Japan for study so I also have personal reasons to go attend a japanese class. It wasn't only for the sake of a visa.

Anyway I know that proxy marriage takes a lot of time and documents as well as the application for the Coe of the spouse visa. That's why I was thinking to start the process now in order to enter in Japan around January after I will lose my last chance to enter Japan with student visa ( the time limit for me to enter in Japan with student visa is January. After that, my Coe will expire.)

Anyway I think I will start the marriage process in October and make the application for spouse visa later, when my student visa Coe will expire. I think that cancelling my student Coe and then apply for a spouse visa COE would be seen as an other red flag by the immigration office..don't you think?

by Cloud2 rate this post as useful

Re: 2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/9/9 19:30
Hello :)
Just a short suggestion: start to prepare all the necessary documents for the marriage asap!
(In case your problem with the CoE for a student visa is solved.)

Ask your boyfriend if he can ask the city office which documents they require, because it differs from city office to city office.

Talking from my own experiences: it takes some while! My boyfriend and I started with the preparations in January 2021, it took some more time, because he was married before and got divorced in 2018. So, his divorce had to been accepted by a court here in Germany, before I could start to apply for the other documents.

We received the decision of the court at the end of July. Right after this, I started to prepare the other documents, which the city office in Japan requires. And still until now, were are not done yet!
We are expecting to get married around December 2021, so our actual plan of me moving back to Japan around April/ May 2022 might work.

But as you can see, it might take some time, and you need to be patient.

Wish you all the best!
by Yvi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2 COEs for 2 different visas 2021/9/9 20:18
@Ken

"I think it just simply means that she wants to enter Japan "by any means".--Ken

This thinking and accusation towards Cloud2 is highly disrespectful and demonstrates a lot of ignorance.

In order for her to have the option to get married, she needed to already had a Japanese boyfriend and have spent time with him (which has to be demonstrated on the marriage application).

In the case of the Japanese boyfriend, marriage is a big step for him too. Unless he had strong feelings for her, he would not consider either. If their love is strong enough to want marriage, that is their right.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread