Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can i get long term resident? After divorce? 2021/9/24 04:44
Hello everyone i am indian girl married with indian permanent resident i have spouse of permanent resident for 3 years now currently holding 1 year status this time got trouble with my husband he refused to support my application this time for extension and also he refused to divorce so i just applied without his support and submitted application with my sister being my guarantor she is pr too its been 1 month since i applied still nothing from immigration does anybody knows what is expecting to be happen? I m thinking if immigration reject my extension next i want to apply for long term
I have 3000000+ income paying pension and all taxes have family in japan my sister. I have permanent job seshain
by Depika (guest)  

Re: Can i get long term resident? After divorce? 2021/9/24 15:18
@Depika

You are in a tricky situation. I think it's foul that your husband won't grant you a divorce nor will submit his part of the paperwork for the marriage visa renewal. This appears to be a calculated effort on his part to prevent you from staying in Japan.

From what I've heard, in situations like what you have, immigration will attempt to contact your husband directly. Keep in mind that in conflict or divorce situations, the soon to be or former spouse can speak badly about you or even lie, in order to be vindictive and revengeful. So, you might want to be speaking to immigration officials to become aware of what is going on or to present your side of the story.

If he still refuses to grant the divorce, it is hard to say what immigration will do. They will usually grant you some type of extension, but it might be for only 3 or 6 months. If it is 3 months, it is often for you to prepare to leave Japan. This appears to be some type of "administrative" temporary extension. If it is for 6 months, then it can be for you to finish the divorce, and for applying for a different type of visa.

In both cases, you can at least apply for a work visa, as it appears you make enough money. But, your company has to agree to sponsor the visa. That is not always guaranteed. You should definitely ask your company if that will be possible.

To get the long term resident visa, my understanding is that you have to be officially divorced, before applying. But, if the husband refuses the divorce, not sure how they will handle such cases.

It also appears that they prefer you were married for at least 5 years, and had a job showing you can support yourself for at least 2 years. They will likely ask for your income tax, resident tax, and possibly to include health insurance card. Make sure you at least have the most recent year's paperwork. Also, the unofficial requirement of 5 years appears to contradict what is stated in official sources, where being married for 3 years would be enough. Not sure why there is a difference, but it might depend on the immigration office or official involved.

Looks like it is best for you to immediately find out if you can apply for the long term resident visa. Definitely to the immigration help desk and ask question in regards to your situation. You should definitely return and let people know how that goes. Don't know of a person in your type of situation, so probably others would like to know about it too.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

Re: Can i get long term resident? After divorce? 2021/9/24 16:02
Thank you so much for your reply this morning i called immigration and asked that how long it will take more to get the post card the immigration officer told me that they already send the post card on 22 September so just wait until it arrived so when i checked this morning my post box 12pm the post card was there demanded 4000 yen Stamp so i directly went to immigration and i got 6 months same status spouse of permanent resident i know my husband contacted immigration and told them alot about me but its all lies i went to immigration too before applying and discussed all my situation and proof now the next step is if my husband still refuses to divorce i will file case at family court for divorce and if he just give ne divorce then i will try my luck on long term as you mentioned about income and taxes and supporting my self so i have same se shain job for almost 3 years 3000000 + income paying everything health insurance pension taxes everything never miss even one month but i don't know if the long term was disapprove what will i do i am not eligible for work visa at the time
by Depika (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread