Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Applying for CoE - Speeding Ticket 2021/10/4 00:09
I am currently going through the process of applying for a CoE through an English teaching company so that I can obtain my visa and hopefully start teaching next March. No one knows at this point whether that will be possible, of course, but I've got my fingers crossed and feel pretty good about it. I've been waiting for some time now and believe I have a pretty good chance of being able to go sooner rather than later, provided the borders open under the new leadership.

I completed an online form where they asked me specifically whether I had a criminal record. I put no, as this was my assumption. However, upon ordering an actual background check (which is also required), it turns out there's a traffic violation from two years ago which I had forgotten about.

Two things bother me:

One, I wrote that I had no criminal record. Online search has revealed that traffic violations aren't generally considered a big deal, especially if they take place outside of Japan. However, it's still listed under "Criminal Records" and I have already sent both documents. Should I follow up by saying I made an error and that I do technically have a criminal record? Would it look worse to say I have one, even though it's just a traffic violation, or if I say I don't have one but there's a speeding ticket on my record?

Two, the nature of the ticket might exacerbate the issue. You see, the charge reads "SCHOOL ZONE IN EXCESS OF 15 MPH" in bold letters. For the record I believe this to be a gross exaggeration and an injustice to myself, as at the time the officer who pulled me over looked like he was in an extremely bad mood and never gave me a chance to defend myself. I would've challenged this, but at the time I didn't think it was a huge issue. The sign was tiny, the speed limit went abruptly from 40 to 15mph, there were no pedestrians in sight, I was in the middle of slowing down and driving in a very safe manner, yada-yada, you get the picture but it doesn't matter now.

The charge is there and it has to do with driving in a school zone, something that I will most likely be doing in Japan which might raise some eyebrows. Again, for the record, I am a very safe driver.

I guess I'm just throwing this out there to hear any honest answers, will this affect me, is it really no big deal, etc. Usually I wouldn't worry about something like this but I don't know. Should I wait and see if they ask about it or should I mention it now? Who would be most concerned over something like this? How do I express that I am a safe driver and that this ticket should not be an object of concern?

Sorry for the wall. To be clear this happened in the United States, where I reside currently. Yeah, the country with an inconceivably huge mess of stroads which causes innumerable problems for pedestrian and driver alike.
by ajpn0  

Re: Applying for CoE - Speeding Ticket 2021/10/4 12:36
They ain't interested in minor speeding tickets or traffic violations.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for CoE - Speeding Ticket 2022/8/12 13:24
Curious if you had an update?
by C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for CoE - Speeding Ticket 2022/8/12 13:50
Curious what you ended up doing?
by C (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying for CoE - Speeding Ticket 2022/8/12 15:34
Well, it is not a criminal record and you should not worry about that. Criminal record means that you killed someone or you took someone’s money illegally and etc. But, I never heard a criminal record regarding a traffic regulations. If you just speeded up and injured someone and you went a court, then you should mention about that, but just for speed… well, do not panic for such small things. Just wait your visa and thats all. Its just my recommendation, you know what to do.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread