Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa question 2021/10/4 20:03
So, my working visa will soon end (at 26th Oct). However when I asked my boss whether they'll renew my visa or not, there's literally no answer from him at all. I even asked multiple times. (I asked via Skype since my boss isn't at the place where I work).

I feel so anxious that I feared I'll overstay & exceeds my visa permit.
Any suggestion on how to deal with this issue?

by stellar2223  

Re: Visa question 2021/10/4 23:50
I asked my boss whether they'll renew my visa or not

So you mean that you want your employer to do go to immigration to proceed resident status renew formality on behalf of you?

You could ask your employer just to provide required document while you prepare the other required document by yourself, then you can go to immigration to proceed formality.
by Isoide (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa question 2021/10/4 23:54
@Isolde, no, I do plan to renew the visa myself. The problem is there's no answer at all whether my employer want to help me renew my visa or not
by stellar2223 rate this post as useful

Re: Visa question 2021/10/5 00:04
It sounds as if they are not aware that it will be illegal even for them once your resident status expiree but they continue to employ you.

However, if your employment contract ends this time also, I am sorry to say that it is time for you to find another work...

I hope things go well for you.

Re: Visa question 2021/10/5 00:07
Speaking of contract, my contract already end up last August but my employer says that he'll extend it one month & after Sept finished seems expecting me to keep come
by stellar2223 rate this post as useful

Re: Visa question 2021/10/5 00:32
my employer says that he'll extend it one month
Even if it was actually extended, as long as it was for a month, I don't think that you are eligible to renew your resident status.

after Sept finished seems expecting me to keep come
It is only your prediction, what you need is agreement and contract.

Again, I am sorry to say that 'extended just a month' means they are not willing to be your employer...

Re: Visa question 2021/10/5 02:40
Most HRs do not have any idea how to handle immigration.
You will need to do your own research, and then tell HR exactly which documents you need from them and when, then you can submit the materials yourself.
I worked for a billion dollar large company with thousand of employees, and even their HR have zero clue of how to handle immigration correctly. You cannot rely on them to guide you with anything.
by f (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa question 2021/10/5 11:03
Youfd have to ask them if they are willing to extend the employment contract with you - and if in the unfortunate case they say no, that theyfd still have to give you a decent advance notice not to renew/extend it. Somehow from the way they are not responding, things donft look too good. Best wishes that things work out for you.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Visa question 2021/10/5 13:26
I agree with the statements that a lot of companies and HR can be clueless about visa renewal. I think some things you better start doing quickly are:

1) Check if you have copies of the documents that were submitted to immigration originally.

This can help guide you as to what is needed.

2) Go to immigration and find out exactly what documents you and your company needs for renewal.

Again, this will help you guide the company on what they are suppose to be doing, instead of you simply begging for help. Be more proactive.

Tell your boss what steps he/she needs to do. Not wait around for him/her to figure things out, as your time expires.

3) Though it is late, check for other companies, submit resumes, and do interviews.

If you are working for a company or boss that ignores your e-mails or doesn't seem to have your best interest in mind, then you need to be very proactive in looking for other companies.

4) Get all your tax paperwork ready.

This usually requires that you go to the city office and get the nozei shomeisho and shotoku/kazei shomeisho. Showing that you paid your resident and income taxes.

Where people can get stuck is that their company didn't take care of this for them or you need to get paperwork from the company accountant to bring down to the city office.

If your company didn't pay your taxes, then you will have to pay them. That means going down to the tax office, in addition to the city office. However, the usual situation is the company paid all the taxes for you, so you just need to get those documents from the company accountant.

5) Even if you don't have all the paperwork from your company, still submit for your extension.

Don't make the mistake of not submitting the extension before your time expires or submitting late (immigration will often look at your case or future approvals negatively). If you are missing some documents, there is additional paperwork you can fill out at immigration that will give you a few extra weeks and extend the deadline. The key thing is to get the processing stamp from immigration, so that you are legal.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread