Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Spouse of long term visa holder 2021/10/11 14:49
Hi, ifm a filipina with a long term visa in japan and ifm pregnant with my uzbekistan boyfriend who's an international student visa holder here in japan. and we're planning to get married so that he can change his status from student to spouse visa for him to be able to work here regularly and can financially support our growing family. is there any chance he can be approved for a spouse visa because he's having a baby with me? Any advices on what should we do so that he can get a spouse visa after we get married?
by Mona marie (guest)  

Re: Spouse of long term visa holder 2021/10/11 21:45
their major concerns are that you and your family can survive in Japan without any supports by others (especially governmental support) or not.
you are requested to prove that point by official documents.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of long term visa holder 2021/10/12 13:57
I do not know under what circumstances youfve obtained the long-term resident status, but as long as the two of you get married (legally either under the Japanese law or your countryfs or his countryfs laws), there should be a way for him to change from a gstudenth to another type of resident status so that he can stay in Japan with you.

But please note that he can already currently work up to 28 hours a week (as someone on gstudenth status, as long as he keeps good attendance), and as a spouse to glong-term residenth I am not exactly sure how many hours he can work. (He will not qualify for gspouse of Japanese national,h with no limit on the number of work hours, because you are not Japanese). He is likely to get glong-term residenth status too.
And as the poster above mentions, the immigration authorities will check to see if the two of you can financially support yourselves. If he does not have any work at all (meaning no tax papers yet), probably providing a letter describing his prospects for work in the future, or providing some kind of guarantor letter (by someone close to you/him in Japan) might be necessary. Best wishes.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Spouse of long term visa holder 2021/10/13 16:55
@Mona marie

Your situation is quite interesting. I know that a person married to a long-term resident visa holder (who is prescribed) can also get a visa as their spouse. However, there are different categories of long-term resident visa holders. There is prescribed versus non-prescribed. The prescribed are often for people of Japanese ancestry. Where non-prescribed are often situations where say a foreigner was married to a Japanese (then got divorced or widowed), to include they have given birth to a child from a Japanese father (who he claims/acknowledges is his).

So, the tricky thing is I'm not sure in the cases of non-prescribed long-term resident visa holders. You probably will need to ask immigration to get a clear answer. Usually best to go down to immigration directly and talk to the help desk, because many people report trying to get answers over the phone often doesn't go well or creates more confusion.

I also agree with elements of what AK typed. Immigration will do a determination of if you and him meet a certain financial threshold. In the cases of marriage visas, I've heard this is around 40,000 dollars (around 4,500,000 yen). This is proven through tax paperwork. When a married couple makes less than that threshold amount or are unemployed, then they can ask for bank statements or a guarantor. However, in the case of foreign visa holders, things can be very problematic unless they can prove a source of income where they won't be considered a risk or will be seeking welfare.
by Rejo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread