Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing from student visa to tourist 2021/11/18 14:57
Hello, I was attending university in Japan, but unfortunately have to quit school.
My student visa expires this month, but I think it will take me more time to get everything sorted, plane ticket, etc.
I don't plan on staying in Japan that long, I was thinking sometime next month or in January I would leave, but I don't want to overstay my visa.
Is it possible to just switch over to a tourist visa for the mean time?
Do they give you any sort of window after your visa expires for you to leave the country (ie you have one month to leave after your visa expires) or do you have to leave right away?
Thanks.
by Me (guest)  

Re: Changing from student visa to tourist 2021/11/18 21:32
There is no gwindowh of allowance after expiration, so it is wise not to overstay the current status.

You will have to go to the immigration bureau to ask if you can get an extension beyond your current gstudenth status, maybe either gtemporary visitorh status (this should be easy if you are from a country with which there is a visa waiver), or gspecified activitiesh (such as the one granted when a graduate is planning to stay a bit longer to look for a job in Japan). Please donft wait till the last day.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Changing from student visa to tourist 2021/11/18 23:33
Thanks, I am from Canada which I think means there is a visa waiver.
I will go to immigration tomorrow.
by Me (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Changing from student visa to tourist 2021/11/19 07:36
I am from Canada which I think means there is a visa waiver.
You are very fortunate as Canada is one of two countries where the visa waiver program is not suspended, so that makes a change to temporary visitor permit easier (it is not a visa).
Also, if you applied for renewal of you current visa you get an automatic extension of two months that would allow you to sort out the things you are wanting, but it appears, in this instance, the temporary visitor route is probably best/easiest.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread