Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

unemployed spouses always 1 year renewal? 2021/12/3 19:03
Hello,

I am a spouse of a Japanese national (woman) and I am on my first 1 year visa. I will be renewing it early next year.
As I am not working (dependent of my spouse for pension) I am wondering if I would always only get 1 year extension? Is there someone in the same situation as me who managed to get 3 years at some points?

Thank you!
by Mama (guest)  

Re: unemployed spouses always 1 year renewal? 2021/12/4 07:50
Too vague to answer. So nmany personal details like financials go into the equation.

But unemployed male for over one year will probably net another one year renewal.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: unemployed spouses always 1 year renewal? 2021/12/4 08:37
Hi there

The fact you are dependent will not effect whether you get 3 years or 1 year.

I am a spouse of Japanese too, after my first year I got another 1 year extension, then the second time I extended I got 3 years. I am also classed as a dependent spouse.

It's all down to luck on who you get look at your application, they may consider other things like how long you've been married for example. They may look at your dependent status amongst other things but it will not be a reason to not give you 3 years as a whole.

Just so you know, it's very unlikely you will get 3 years on your first renewal, it's very rare. Don't take it as a negative towards you or anything as it's very likely you will only get a year this time around, probably even second time around.

Just from my personal experience, and a lot of people on this forum have also said the same
by Shelly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: unemployed spouses always 1 year renewal? 2021/12/5 20:20
Thank you for very much for your quick answer, I really appreciate!
by Mama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread