Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/8/7 21:51
My last education was Senior high school and my attendance was insanely horrible around 26%
but I did not get expelled instead I graduated from my high school with a school leaving certificate and I also have a certificate of education (A certificate given to students if they pass the high school final year exam)

Right now, I wish to enroll in a Japanese Language School (long-term) and possibly pursue higher education after that.
The question is, will I be able to pass documents screening when applying for a student visa / COE

If it's obvious that I would get rejected by the embassy when they saw my attendance, would it be better if I don't submit my school leaving certificate which clearly states my attendance? would my certificate of education be enough?
by Ramenshop  

Re: Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/8/8 10:22
Both ducoments aren't really important for studying language at a school. I guess you could omit the poor one. I don't think though that it would have much impact on application anyway. So I wouldn't stress too much.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/8/8 16:14
thank you so much for the quick response and, thank you for the assurance. I do hope that the embassy will overlook this.
by Ramenshop rate this post as useful

Re: Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/8/8 17:52
It depends on where you are going to apply for your visa. Will you apply for the Certificate of Eligibility from your hometown? If so then, the Immigration will only check your grades and it should be okay even if there are a lot C grades. However, if you apply to extend your student visa as a resident, then your school have to provide the bunch of documents including your participation and grades. It will affect definitely on the decision of the Immigration Office. But, I think in your case, you are applying for the CoE and it should be okay. You are not supposed to apply your attendance rate for them. They will just check your bank account, official document that proves your graduation, your criminal records. Hope will be useful
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/8/8 21:08
I forgot to mention that this is a "studying abroad in Japan scenario"

I'm applying to the language school, the language school will then help me to apply for the COE, once the COE is approved, I'll have to head to my local Japan embassy to apply for the student visa. Isn't this the usual way ?

well apparently, the official document that proves my high school graduation (school leaving certificate) has attendance on it... but I'm not sure if they consider my certificate of education as an official document that proves my high school graduation, it doesn't state that I studied in xxx high school from which year to which year but, it does have a year on it example : exam year 2018 (which is the year i graduated)

the language school's advisor said, "On the certificate of education there is no specific graduation date, so I think if you have a school leaving certificate with a specific date, then the chances of being noticed by the immigration bureau will be much smaller."

So I have a choice to not submit my school leaving certificate and the language school will still proceed to submit my application to the immigration bureau. She did mention that I should prepare it just in case the immigration bureau asks for it later.

so your advice is to just submit my school leaving certificate despite it stating my attendance?

Re: Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/8/10 11:58
If you apply from your home country, then you do not have to submit the attendance sheet, which includes the overall percentage of your attendance (like 94%). Just forget about that, as it is necessary step for those who apply as a resident within Japan (not your case).

But, you have to submit only the diploma and it should in fact show the period of your studies (like from 2016-2019). The grades should he submitted too. Even though you have gChs, you have not to worry about that.

If you submit also the school leave certificate, then you have to explain, why exactly you left and what was your duration for school leave? Is it because of illness? Or is it because of another problem? More detailed information would be needed if you submit also the school leave certificate. I would suggest not to submit it, as you have already diploma. The Immigration Bureau should know that you are going to study, not getting a visa and leaving.
This is my advice for you, since I have several years of experience with Immigration Bureau and solved several difficult problems with issuing CoE and visas in Japan. But, better to get an advice from your school, which will apply.
Hope it will be useful.
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/8/10 15:48
Thank you for replying again !!

My Attendance and period of study are on the same paper... which is my school leaving certificate but, my period of study isn't in a format like 2016-2018, it's in a format like "Reason of leaving: Completed senior year 2".

And my certificate of education is not a high school diploma, it doesn't state my period of studies, it only has a year 2018 on it, it is the year that I took the final year exam and the year I graduated.

Re: Bad high school attendance, student visa? 2022/12/7 20:59
*UPDATE*
I manage to get the COE and student visa without any issues at all, everything went smoothly, I did not submit my school leaving certificate, my certificate of education (SPM) was sufficient... I guess I overthought too much. Thanks guys

reply to this thread